SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, very odd problem. I have everything back together and poured in the coolant. It all started draining out from somewhere. All of the hoses look good and it's a steady stream running down the engine block. The turbo coolant line looks good. The only poosible source that I can come up with is the block/water pump O-ring area. I just pulled the waterpump and checked the oring and it looks good. Slides in nicely as does the outer o-ring. The coolant is running down the engine block from somewhere and dripping from the oil filter. It is doing it wjust sitting. Not even cranked.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Please fill us in frank, what was the major task ?

Can you do a pressure test ? A Schroeder valve installed in a reservoir cap..1 or 2 psi..or more, then the "hiss" test...

Is it possible to see into the water pump, the O ring area ?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
well since you just replaced the timing chain, I would inspect what you worked around including heater core hoses, clamps, lower radiator hose, water pump seal and gasket.

I agree with EW, the system has to be pressurized to test it properly.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
earthworm said:
Please fill us in frank, what was the major task ?

Can you do a pressure test ? A Schroeder valve installed in a reservoir cap..1 or 2 psi..or more, then the "hiss" test...

Is it possible to see into the water pump, the O ring area ?
Thanks for the reply...

Yeah, I put pressure to it via the coolant tank. I can see bubbles coming from around the o ring at the block. I'm not sure if that's it though. I can see the coolant flowing from the bottom but can't see where it's coming from to save my life. I have the P/S pump off and still can't see any leak. Yet the coolant still flows... I know I'll find it eventually... I'm calling it a night but tomorrow plan on plumbing around the waterpum so I can see the block and see if that's where it's coming from. I can't imagine that the o-ring was good and now it just suddenly decides to leak. weird...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey! Have you looked at the small elbow ( L) hose bend that connects the coolant pipes right near the water pump? Just a guess. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, it was definately one of the two O-Rings on the Water Pump. I replaced both of those today with some from a kit that I picked up at Harbor Freight and I'm back in business. The old ones slipped in and out with no resistance. The two that I used were SNUG. I had to actually tap on the flange to get it in the block. I filled her up and no leak. Ran it for 10mins tonight. Everything seemd great.

I also put the new MBC on as well so tomorrow I'll drive button everything up tight and drive her over to the alignment shop. (Don't want to ruin the new tires after dropping the subframe).

Leon said:
Hey! Have you looked at the small elbow ( L) hose bend that connects the coolant pipes right near the water pump? Just a guess. Good luck!
Thanks Leon, Earthworm and Hkayssi, Always great to know that people actually stop and think of things when you need them. It's good to know that everyone around here freely shares their knowledge learned from individual experiences.

-Jim

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Wooohooo, Glad that was all you needed to replace. Gotta love cheap repairs. :cheesy:

How bad was it to replace the water pump O rings? Was it too time consuming? How did you do it? I hope you took pics like you did with the timing chain. That thread is in my tutorial section now :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hkayssi said:
Wooohooo, Glad that was all you needed to replace. Gotta love cheap repairs. :cheesy:

How bad was it to replace the water pump O rings? Was it too time consuming? How did you do it? I hope you took pics like you did with the timing chain. That thread is in my tutorial section now :cheesy:
I know I should have taken pictures but at this point of the game I was sooooo ready to be done that I just didn't stop to take any. It's pretty easy though. When you remove the water pump you'll see where the pump attaches to the block via an open freeze plug hole. There's a piece that sticks out. Just pull that out and replace the 2 O-rings on it. Parts 41 & 42 in the picture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts