SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this thing? And it is leaking coolant slowly. Can I just use leak stop or just tape this thing up? So weird...
Its from a 1997 900 SE 'Vert 2.0 Turbo, I've been restoring it to bring it back to life and just started it up today for the first time.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
What is this thing? And it is leaking coolant slowly. Can I just use leak stop or just tape this thing up? So weird...
Its from a 1997 900 SE 'Vert 2.0 Turbo, I've been restoring it to bring it back to life and just started it up today for the first time.
I know the hoes above that odd "nub" of a hose are the heater core hoses. Hopefully someone else can chime in as to what that hose is good for, or what it means that it's leaking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I didn't even turn the car on for it to start leaking slowly, I filled up the radiator with about 7 quarts and the next day noticed small wet spot underneath the car. Im going to try stop leak tomorrow since it runs now. Oh Saab and the unique parts you have...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks. I didn't even turn the car on for it to start leaking slowly, I filled up the radiator with about 7 quarts and the next day noticed small wet spot underneath the car. Im going to try stop leak tomorrow since it runs now. Oh Saab and the unique parts you have...
Please, for the love of Saab, DO NOT put Stop Leak in your car. Your turbo has small diameter coolant lines, among other things that could be ruined by it. Don't do it.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
That looks like what is called the "elephant trunk." It's the one-way drain hose from the heater core. If antifreeze is dripping there, you either have a leaking o-ring or heater core. Sometimes the o-rings dry out and running the engine helps them reseal. I would run the car for a week of so and see if the leak stops. If not, it's time to replace the core. And, as others have said, do not use leak stop... Ron

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Listen to Ron, he knows stuff :).

My o-ring leaked when I was messing around with my gearbox. It fixed it's self.
Give a week, Have another look.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Leaky Heater Core or Connections

Hello,

Nice pick on the 97 900 Turbo Convertible. Fun car. The only way that I know of for coolant to get into the heater core housing is leaking orings or a bad heater core. There are some DIY instructions on the forum for replacing the heater core in the NG900. If you are handy you can save some big money by doing that job yourself. eEuroparts.com has all the parts needed to do that job on that model and we are always happy to help on our 800 number if you would like to talk about the project. And no.....you don't want to use stopleak.....ever. Enjoy.

Dean Bergeron
Customer Service
eEuroparts.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I've been running the car almost every day, and for a week, the leak pretty much stopped. And then last week I would just turn on the car to get everything moving, I was too busy with work to drive it around and the leak came back worse than before. I feel like I should just take this guy apart and fix it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts