SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i developed a coolant leak onto the drivers floor area ..suspecting a heater core-do these suck to change? ..or is it the seals between the heater hoses and core? never had a problem in the past with any of my saab's just wondering if there is a common leak point before i rip and tear...thanks

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It is your heater core. The heater core to the connecting coolant hose has no seal. It is just a hose clamp. Replacing it is not easy. For first timers it takes two to three hours. Search the archive. There are many write-ups.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alldata shows accessing heater core from engine compartment is that right every one that i've done involves pulling the dash back...thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The heater core is removed from the fish tank. This is the space between the engine compartment and the sindshield. Remove the plastic panel between the hood and the winshield to dig in. You can't access it from the dash.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I beleive that the factory installs heater hoses with O ring seals, not hose clamps. The hoses pull out and push in and are sealed by the O ring which should be new each time the hose is disconnected. The hose clamps connect the hoses to the push in pipes that connect with the core and which are supposed to be sealed with O Rings.

I suspect a more than a few replaced heater cores were actually leaking from the O ring seals. I also think that these O rings can seep coolant when the heater hoses are pushed and pulled by the drivetrain movements as I have often noticed a faint coolant smell after a hard acceleration run.

The problem is you can't really see if it is the heater core that is leaking rather than these O rings unless you get right into the heater core at which point you might as well fit a new core to be on the safe side. Unless you are doing your own labour in which case it might be sensible to check if the core is actually leaking or just seeping from the O rings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts