SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, have a 97 900s convertible with 2.3 litre.
Yesterday, got the dreaded "Low Coolant" warning, which happens quite often (and I think is corroded sender in filler tank?).. Only this time temp gauge climbed as well, then Warning on dash. It WAS very warm here in Melbourne yesterday too.
It appears there is some sort of plastic vaccum controlled diaphram valve in the heater hoses.(1 hose in, 2 out)
Coolant is pouring out of this plastic gizmo, but stops if you take the vaccum line off the valve.
Question... Is this valve able to be dismantled and is it repairable?
If I need to order a new one, is it dangerous to leave vaccum hose off (with end plugged) for now to stop the leak?
Regards Charlie

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Are the Aussie Saabs that different, but why would this be ???

Maybe some one added something ??

The coolant flow is normally uncontrolled to the heater, but the airflow is - this is the newer type of heater design from GM and VW and others??, no more "water valve"....

You can remove the vacuum line, assure that it is plugged and still holds vacuum.....
May as well repair the sensor, by cleaning the inside of the reservoir - I think some one did this.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks earthworm. No, it's not an add-on... it has Saab number. I shall take a pic tonight (providing SWMBO makes it home from work in her "baby"!)
I presume that the heater will not work with this vaccum line off, not that it matters too much in our weather! 37c today!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If you post the Saab p/n, good chance someone can find it on the Saab EPC CD, along with a diagram, and figure out what it is.

edit:

Leaving an open vacuum line, if that is what it is, is usually not a good idea. Not "unsafe", but the engine may not run right. Most of us have had a few vacuum leaks, creating one intentionally seems superfluous.

As for weather, the snow is starting to fly here... I so wish you would not mention the temps down there right now... :cheesy:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have plugged the vaccum line.
I will do as suggested and post up the part number (and a pic)
Thanks guys for your help!.. What a great site and resource this place is!:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a pic of this mystery plastic valve.
It has >PA GF<
A direction of flow arrow ->
Then No's.... GM 90457649-C
Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another to put into perspective where located.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Great pics, Charlie, these cannot be any better..

I still do not know what this device is...for certain..:nono;
Maybe GM has changed back to using a diaphragm controlled heater shut off valve ???
However, why not go to the dealer and have a new one installed, if this one is leaking ???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good, just bought one from a GM/Saab dealer in Footscray..
$121.00. And, I believe same valve is used in GM Vectra, and Astra.
Wasn't quite as painful as I thought.
Thanks for your replies and assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts