SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been searching for a coolant leak, but couldn't pinpoint the source.
I took the car for a sprited drive today, and when I pulled up to my house, a puff of steam came up from under the hood, I opened the hood and could see antifreeze sprayed all over the lower part of the engine, as well as the bottom of both cooling fans, but no active leak.
I ran the engine at a fast idle from the throttle body, and in a short time, a cloud of steam was coming from under the turbocharger, shortly after the engine returned to idle, the cloud abruptly stopped.

What should I look for once I get it up on my ramps?

It's a 1999 9-5 SE V6.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Hope this helps..

Just curious...Is this the same coolant leak you were searching for in sept and aug? Have you done the pressure test yet?

Here's a pic of the turbo:

Maybe check all the gaskets near the banjo bolts? (all of the #13's too)

I don't know which are oil and which are coolant though. I guess if it's coming from there, you'll see the steam and the drip. Maybe have someone increase the throttle while you look from underneath? Also, removing the heat shield(while COLD!!) might give you a better look.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, same guy, same leak.

I ordered an adapter to fit the coolant bottle that is arriving today.
The leak was a small one, and I could never see where it was coming from, until last night when it finally blew it's top while I was reving it up.
My 9-5 is a 6 cylinder, is the diagram of the turbo similar?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the adapter arrived, wrong size, so I couldn't pressure test anything.:x

I looked under and behind the turbo from underneath, took the car for a good hard drive, and nothing, not even a hint of a leak.
All the antifreeze from last night is now heated/dried off all the surfaces that
it sprayed onto.

Between this elusive leak and the wiper problem, I'm starting to regret buying this car for my daughter.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Without searching for your old posts ahs someone mentioned the coolant bypasss valve? ( actually I am not sure it there is on in teh V6 but I assume so since it is part of the heating system. It is in teh rear near the firewall.

My neighbor bought his son a 1999 and felt the same way due to disappearig coolant. After he go that fixed he is loving the car...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have added to the old post.

The bypass valve was ruled out, as were the throttle body and the radiator hoses, I've checked just about everything.
It leaks under pressure only.
I can't seem to locate an adaptor the fit the pressure bottle.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
OK how about the head bolts? Are you noticing any colant smell in teh exhaust or seeing loads of steam out the back when under power???

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Finally got the correct adapter for the coolant bottle, and pressure tested the system.

It looks like the left rear corner of the head is where the leak is.
This would be the head right above the turbo (V6).
I took the valve cover off, and some of the head bolts are under the front camshaft.
The bolts at the rear of the head are accessible, should I attempt to snug them up, or will I do more damage?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
NO :nono; dont' try to Sung them up. You need to do a few things. I am not familiar with the V6 but you always need to back off all the bolts on a head and retorque in the proper order or you risk warping.

If the bolts are the "strech" type like the I4, you might want to change them out.

The gasket could be shot, but since that is a pain on any car ( especially on the V6 if I recal lwhat I saw looking at on eonce) you might want to just try re-torqueing see if that works and if not ...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turns out it WAS the head gasket.
It's in the shop now, they sent the heads out to be skimmed.
Don't know what this is going to cost me yet :cry: .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts