SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 1999 9-5se. After a short drive I parked my car in the driveway and the coolant was pouring out as if it was raining. Months ago I had a minor leak which I forgot about but now it was just emptying out. Took different mechanics said it was the water pump. I had the water pump replaced and the leak is just as bad. They are now saying it is also coming from the exhaust area, near the thermostat or possibly the head. I am not mechanically inclined. They think it will take 2 to 3 hours to open the exhaust area and close it back up to see what might be the issue. Does that sound right? Any guidance would be appreciated. I posted a photo. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
If you are not mechanically inclined then you are at the mercy of your local advisors who have eyes on..

Depending where the coolant is raining down it could be a hose, the coolant bypass valve, the water pump or the water pump connection on the block etc etc...

Maybe post a video of what's going on.

My money is on the CBV, nothing to do with your exhaust.

Oh and by your description your mechanics sound like idiots.

·
Registered
'02 Saab 9-5 Aero
69 Posts
That's a whole lot of coolant.....the size of that puddle, the location being almost directly under the water pump, and the fact that you can sort of see it just raining out leads me to believe that whatever was done, was not correct. As bob3k mentioned, your cbv is a usual suspect for these issues and may also be involved in this somehow. Search around the forum for a local Saab shop or use this resource from Orio, Find a Saab Service Center, to find a nearby official place of service to take it to and get it fixed correctly....Bob's thoughts on your current mechanics sound about right to me too.
Good luck (y)

·
Registered
'02 Saab 9-5 Aero
69 Posts
The coolant bypass valve (CBV) is actually attached to the firewall of the 9-5 behind the throttle body and intake manifold. It’s a common failure point for these cars, I’ve changed it twice on my current 9-5 and am going on eight years of ownership. It seems challenging but can be knocked out in a bit over an hour if you’ve done it before and are moving at a determined pace. Here are just a few of the many helpful tutorials…

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That’s a whole lot of coolant for sure. Agree with what’s said above. But I would be suspecting a poor installation of the water pump. There is “connector” that sits between the water pump and the block. If not installed correctly it could cause a significant leak that would drip down in the area shown in your photo. Also, did they change all associated o-rings on the water pump and install the proper gasket on the WP? If it was me, I would now fill it up with distilled water and then rent and use a coolant pressure tester to pin point where the leak is. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mechanic opened it up some more and saw that the oil cooler cover was cracked. He said that he could replace just the cover if he can pull the lines out cleanly. If not I would need a new oil cooler. Does that make sense at all?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it wasn't logical to me either so after some googling, i came across a bunch of articles incuding this one. I don't know what to make of it.

2. Engine coolant leaking from oil cooler
Similar to a loss of oil, an external oil cooler failure may force all of the engine coolant out of the engine. Whether the coolant leak is large or small, you will eventually overheat the engine if it isn’t repaired quickly. If the leak is small, you may notice coolant puddling on the ground underneath your vehicle. If the leak is a large one, you will probably notice steam pouring out from under the hood of your vehicle. As with the above symptom, it's important to contact a professional mechanic as soon as you notice a coolant leak. If enough coolant leaks from the radiator or oil cooler, it can result in engine overheating problems and mechanical component failure.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Is your car a V6?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts