SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help - Coolant leak at turbo?

Hi all,

I first notice the leak while changing the oil filter, with some pink/yellow deposite on it. The only trace of the leak I can find is from the coolant pipe at the turbo front end. I tried to tighten the scew, which is already very tight and won't move any further.

Any suggestion? :roll:

http://lh4.google.com/kemeng.yang/R3MZJhGWEJI/AAAAAAAAA40/YeDWHzQ31dQ/DSCF3300.JPG?imgmax=912
http://lh5.google.com/kemeng.yang/R3MY7xGWEII/AAAAAAAAA4s/Ym2HIFsm5Ds/DSCF3301.JPG?imgmax=912

W

·
0 Posts
Those washers have a rubber ring on the inside so replacing the washers with new ones will probably fix the leak. Make sure to drain the coolant from the engine first before loosening the coolant pipes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wulf, I will drain the coolant and replace the washer. It's time for a coolant flush anyway, the coolant reservior looks nasty inside...:confused:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Thank goodness for Zombie threads. I have exactly the same leak in exactly the same place. For those of you who have had this leak, did replacing the washers fix the issue? Do each pipe take two of the rubber lined washers . seals? Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
from memory it ain't a walk in the park getting those coolant hose banjos with the seals on either side done up again. Have to get thread absolutely perpendicular to the hole for re-threading, and there is another pipe that criss crosses over the other. It certainly requires fan shroud out, pipes off, if not turbo itself loose ..

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Thanks Andy, I remember that connection being a challenge to get back together when I replaced my water pump. A good from this leak would be to just replace these seals with new ones while you're in there. I know you can reach the bolt from under the car when on a lift, is there anyone out there who has solved this problem from under the car without having to remove the shroud?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Also note that there are different washers used in different places on the turbo lines. None of the lines use rubber-lined washers they connect to the turbo. Those are all copper washers. Rubber washers are the other ends where they connect to the engine block, water pump, and oil filter housing. I've never had problems getting the lines to seal on the engine ends of the lines when using new washers, but you really have to crank down on the bolts on the turbo, which isn't easy since access is limited. I've had to use odd combinations of tools to get those tightened, especially the one on the backside of the turbo. I have a ratcheting crowsfoot type of socket that I use on that one.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Also note that there are different washers used in different places on the turbo lines. None of the lines use rubber-lined washers they connect to the turbo. Those are all copper washers. Rubber washers are the other ends where they connect to the engine block, water pump, and oil filter housing. I've never had problems getting the lines to seal on the engine ends of the lines when using new washers, but you really have to crank down on the bolts on the turbo, which isn't easy since access is limited. I've had to use odd combinations of tools to get those tightened, especially the one on the backside of the turbo. I have a ratcheting crowsfoot type of socket that I use on that one.
That's interesting, then since those washers aren't the rubber lined versions, you're saying that at least one or more bolts are not tight enough. I put my ratchet on one of the front bolts and checked to make sure it was tight and couldn't tighten it any more, maybe it still wasn't tight enough.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I'd guess that either the bolts aren't tight enough, or the washers are damaged. On my 1997 900, I ended up tracking down a set of the old fashioned "puffy" crush washers that actually crush when you tighten them. Those stopped the leaks I had after installing a TD-04 in that car. When I replaced the turbo in my 2000 9-5 Aero, I used all new factory-style washers, and so far that one hasn't leaked. If you look at a parts diagram, like the ones on eSaabparts, you can see the various styles of washers that they used on the turbo lines.

Edit: these are the puffy ones:

I'm surprised that they use an asbestos core, but a lot of aircraft stuff is still pretty old-fashioned. I don't know if the ones I used have asbestos in them. My local CarQuest had an assortment of them behind the counter. This was prior to their buyout by Advance Auto. It seems like they got rid of a lot of their odd assortments after that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts