SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1999 OG 9-3 'vert
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So I took off the WP, upper radiator hose (no issues at all), thermostat and decided to change the idler pulley and serpentine belt as well since I will be ordering new WP housing now.

My WP housing had some serious scorching to the point it damaged the housing and even the edge of the WP. I have no idea how it happened but it must have been over a long period of time.

Here is the pic before cleaning it...

And after I cleaned it...

Little bit of it at the entry side as well..

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
I think the only thing you can order these days is the front of the water pump. There used to be a "complete" option but I think it's gone. Might be u-pull time.

·
Registered
1999 OG 9-3 'vert
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
WP Housing is available. I ordered it with some other stuff too. I was gonna go to the junkyard but didn't want to risk taking it off for an hour or so and getting the bad one.

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
Cool... they must have found some. Or maybe I only looked for the complete pump and not the two parts separately.

Yeah, u-pull is painful for a part like this... although I suppose if you had a portable reciprocating saw and they'd let you bring it in, it would be a bit quicker.

·
Registered
160 Posts
that's corrosion not scorching. Probably run with too much water/old coolant. Honestly it would be fine, you could flatten the surface with a block of glass and sandpaper or a long fine file if you have a steady hand and it bothers you.

·
Registered
823 Posts
agreed with Deskmechanic, that black discoloration is just some corrosion, nothing to be concerned with. I like to clean up the housing face where the gasket will sit by lightly sanding with a nice flat block (i have a chunk of scrap steel which has a machined face, Deskmechanic recommended glass which I have also used in the past) and then use a very light coat of sealant on both faces where the gasket sits. the sealant helps with any minor corrosion pitting in the sealing faces. I've always used the red anaerobic sealant cuz I have a big tube of it but there are specific compounds for prepping paper gaskets available at parts stores. Whatever you do stay away from the RTV! Any extra of that will cure in the coolant system and may block radiator passages or turbo coolant lines

·
Registered
1999 OG 9-3 'vert
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I ordered the new housing since the edges are chipped in few places, I am not risking it. I have anaerobic sealant, I used it before for sealing the oil pan and it worked great. RTV should never be used, I agree.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts