SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. My 1999 Saab 9-5 SE just recently blew a coolant hose from the right side of the engine and one just further down is cracked. I suspect a bad thermostat and faulty temperature sensor for it blowing. Odd thing is, the hose that blew off is no where to be found. Can anyone help me identify which hoses these are so I can get them ordered and replaced? I will try and post a picture in the next couple of days if no one has a clue. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
A picture would help; we would also need to know if it's a 4 or 6 cylinder?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hey everyone. My 1999 Saab 9-5 SE just recently blew a coolant hose from the right side of the engine and one just further down is cracked. I suspect a bad thermostat and faulty temperature sensor for it blowing. Odd thing is, the hose that blew off is no where to be found. Can anyone help me identify which hoses these are so I can get them ordered and replaced? I will try and post a picture in the next couple of days if no one has a clue. Thanks in advance.
The lower radiator hose is on the right bottom and goes up to the T-stat housing. (This is for the V6) SE is V6???

·
Registered
943 Posts
I recently blew my bypass coolant hose. If I had it to do all over again I'd go buy the entire set from Maptun and do them all. I figure I'll just end up blowing another one soon.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you have to replace the lower radiator hose and/or the u-shaped hose on the water pump you might want to go ahead and replace the water pump and gasket while you're at it. Accessing the lower hose is a royal pain.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If you have to replace the lower radiator hose and/or the u-shaped hose on the water pump you might want to go ahead and replace the water pump and gasket while you're at it. Accessing the lower hose is a royal pain.
It isn't so bad if you have the car up on a lift and have the cobra removed for access.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, I have posted pictures. I am just going to take that coolant hose off myself and get the part number off of it. The picture on the left however, is the hose that is missing. It is in the front right of the engine by the DI cassette and is most definitely for oil. I stuck my finger in and it just seems like solid metal. Something that deals with pressure? Friend told me it was a turbo part. Anyone know? And yes it is a 2.3L. Also, every once in awhile my brakes would vibrate after I released the peddle. It sounded like one of those spring door stoppers. Does that have anything to do with my ABS?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Ok the 2nd picture is of a "cracked" or broken coolant hose.
this hose goes to the coolant bottle. its on the bottom left of the bottle when looking from the front of the car.
The 1st picture is not as clear to me. the large plastic pipe is for the intake and just at the very left of the picture it looks like the bypass valve and tube to the turbo is missing.
Is there a hole in the plastic pipe? about an inch and a 1/4 diameter+-? (3cm+-)
Bypass valve and pipe.
Check this link...even though it says its 9-5 the engine looks like a 9-3 but anyway the bypass valve and hose are shown...difference would be you have a plastic intake pipe and the one in the pic is aluminium. (2nd post in link)
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113114
the next link also shows the bypass valve in the 1st post 1st pic.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206993
is that what you are missing?
If you are missing send me a pm.

·
Registered
943 Posts
that's not a coolant hose. It appears you have blown out the plug for where the mechanical vaccuum pump usually goes. that's quite a feat!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
NOT a blown out plug! There is nothing missing there.

That is the area where the vacuum pump is located on the automatic equipped cars. If you you have a manual transmission there is an aluminum plug in there. Usually you have a little oil seepage in there. This is not a big deal. the plug is recessed, so if you can feel the plug it is there. If you can feel the end of the camshaft the plug is gone......but this is a real long shot because there is nothing to blow it out.

When this engine had a distributor for the ignition it was mounted here. There is a notch in the end of the camshaft to drive the distributor of the vacuum pump.

The coolant hose that is split may lead to the heater bypass valve. It may be time to replace all your hoses. They split from old age and drying out and not from over pressure.

·
Registered
867 Posts
NOT a blown out plug! There is nothing missing there.

That is the area where the vacuum pump is located on the automatic equipped cars. If you you have a manual transmission there is an aluminum plug in there. Usually you have a little oil seepage in there. This is not a big deal. the plug is recessed, so if you can feel the plug it is there. If you can feel the end of the camshaft the plug is gone......but this is a real long shot because there is nothing to blow it out.

When this engine had a distributor for the ignition it was mounted here. There is a notch in the end of the camshaft to drive the distributor of the vacuum pump.

The coolant hose that is split may lead to the heater bypass valve. It may be time to replace all your hoses. They split from old age and drying out and not from over pressure.
I concur, but the Vac pump is no longer put there even for the Auto Trans.
all of my 9-5 automatics dont have it.
My 99 9-5 did have the vac pump.
Sometimes there is a small oil leak there which could be fixed with a new valve cover gasket or silicone.
Also if it were missing there would be oil everywhere

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
my 2003 95 Aero automatic has a vacuum pump there. I am not sure what years they are on. My 2001 Aero does not.

·
Registered
943 Posts
well guys, his pics clearly show oil profusely escaping the hole where the pump goes, so if he hasn't blown the plug it has at the very least a severe leak.

Is the OP getting a FILL COOLANT message on SID? If not then it isn't the bypass hose. I blew the bypass hose and I got a SID warning very quickly.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
you really can't tell how bad the leak is in a still photo. I wipe mine up occasionally and there is a bit of oil there in a day or so. My 1999 95 did it too. Anyone with a 95 stick knows this story.

you should get enough coolant loss for a light. But if is leaking....it is leaking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts