SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm in the process of replacing all of what look to be original coolant and heater [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]hoses[/COLOR][/COLOR] on my '93 vert. turbo (5-speed) as a matter of [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]preventative maintenance[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Getting at some of the hoses is so tight (for example the hoses connecting to the rear of the [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green ! important]water pump[/COLOR][/COLOR]) that I am tempted to remove the [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green ! important]intake manifold[/COLOR][/COLOR] and/or the A/C compressor so as to be able to get to them reasonably. Any comments on this idea?

·
Registered
994 Posts
i was just thinking it was a fake post for like phishing or something with rerouting links. i've seen that done and it's always suspicious to re-link like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I posted it on SAABnet.com, too

There's nothing fishy about the post; I simply copied and pasted from my original post from there to here. The unfortunate colorations should have been edited out by me. And by the way, I'm still stuck in the middle of this project.

·
Registered
994 Posts
AH. well ok then. all suspicions removed :)

you should not need to remove the intake manifold. there is a ton of room beneath it if you need to get under it, same goes for the a/c compressor. as long as you undo the points where it's clamped down at, you should have no issue replacing hoses other than just the hoses sticking to their nozzles.

i recommend the Mercedes blue coolant as a suitable alternative for metal protection, and a very light coating of silicone between all hose mating surfaces. this ensures no leak :)

but anywho, if you really want to remove these items as you have big hands, or what-have you, just understand you'll need new intake gaskets, and are causing a LOT of extra work.
if you're ready for it, then who am i to stop you. go for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the blue coolant and silicone grease

Appreciate the tips. I picked up two 1.5l bottles of Pentosin blue coolant from eEuroparts, and a tiny tub of silicone from Loew's. Should be enough silicone to get the job done. Silicone grease has become crazy expensive - 17 dollars for a small tube! There is a fair amount of room under the intake manifold - I just wish I could really see what I was doing. Ah well, the saga continues.

·
Registered
994 Posts
working without sight is often the life of a mechanic ;)

i've always just purchased those silly little packets of silicone they sell at the checkout counters. that's often just enough and cheaper than a whole tube. but now you have more for later :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts