SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 Se conv: I know there are a million threads on coolant (I've read most). I currently have blue pentosin but am leaning heavily towards the MB G-05 instead.
What does everyone do/use in regards to flushing especially if you intend to change fluid types?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I also went with the MB stuff. :)

When I made the change I drained out the old stuff, and did two or three fills just with clean hot tap water, then one more flush with distilled water (~2 gallons). Then I put in a gallon of antifreeze, and topped up with distilled water (a little more than one gallon).

I didn't use any kind of cleaner/flushing agent. My car didn't seem to have much scale or anything so I decided it was best to keep the chemistry simple.

You should leave the heater on full blast throughout this procedure.

Now is a good time to change the thermostat. If you choose not to change it, you need to wait for the car to warm up during each flush so that it opens to circulate the water. This is a pain b/c you're dealing with boiling hot fluids (or waiting) while doing the drain. When I did mine, I took the old thermostat out and reconnected the thermostat housing while doing the flushes, that way I could keep everything cool(ish). Remember, you're not really supposed to add cold water/antifreeze to a hot engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts