SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will one of those back flush kits work on a 1993 saab 900s ? 2.1L ?
You know those prestone back flush kits. I'm worried the part that goes into the expansion chamber won't fit properly to drain into a bucket.. Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
Oh boy...

You sure you wanna do that? Is there a bunch of caca in your coolant? Is your car overheating? Do you have a reason for wanting to flush a 20 year old cooling system, besides "Isn't that what you're supposed to do?"?

I'm not gonna be too negative here, because there are those who take a lot of stock in flushing this or that system...

Personally, I'd suggest that you drain the old coolant (collect it and take it to a recycler), tighten the drain and re-fill with 50/50 pre-mix Prestone or Mercedes Benz coolant. Unless you're gonna flush with distilled water, you're going to be putting a fair bit of bad stuff into the cooling system by using city water. Besides... What are you gonna do with the gallons of contaminated water that you flush the system with? Let it run down your driveway into the street and then into a storm drain and then into a creek or a lake??? It's bad science and generally bad for your environment.

EDIT: Jim says your water is as pure as the virgin Connie Swayle, so I reckon you can use it in your car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand. Just drain the radiator and not the block ? I thought the idea was to get the crap outta the block ? Incidently I was going to back flush into 5 gallon pails and drop off at a recycle center. But thanks for the tounge lashing anyway.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't understand. Just drain the radiator and not the block ? I thought the idea was to get the crap outta the block ? Incidently I was going to back flush into 5 gallon pails and drop off at a recycle center. But thanks for the tounge lashing anyway.
So few are as responsible. Hat's off to ya. And that wasn't a tongue lashing.

Draining the block is part of the job and there is a block drain. It can be a drag to get it loose though. If you can get it out without stripping the aluminum housing, there is really no need to flush the system. The water doesn't move through the system with any more force than the coolant and the chemicals in the flush kits can actually cause problems in the radiator and pump by dislodging crud that will then be circulating in your cooling system. Some of that crud might even be all that's keeping leaks from starting. If your car isn't overheating, and you don't have dirty coolant in the reservoir, a drain and refill is all you need to do. If the car IS running hot and/or you have crappy looking coolant in the res., a flush won't solve anything.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
If your car isn't overheating, and you don't have dirty coolant in the reservoir, a drain and refill is all you need to do. If the car IS running hot and/or you have crappy looking coolant in the res., a flush won't solve anything.
X2 If I was concerned about the coolant left in the block, I'd just get the back end of the car up high and let it drain...no way I'd try going after the block drain. I'm too skeered. But like the Crazee man said, if the coolant is clean in the tank and you're not overheating, chances are what's left in the block is good enough as well with a mix of half new and half what's in there.

I've also back flushed blocks in the past with a garden hose running without a lot of pressure but then you have the added complication of having a block full of water when you're done.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
point taken. Incidently hows this for a deal. (4) radial snow tire used 1 season, about 4 months. $30 bucks for all 4. You bet I jumped at that ! Have a nice day.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mine is still dirty from PO filling it with water whilst the radiator was leaking so it's a bit murky with rust - could be cleaner than what it is now.
Not going the plug route as pain to get to and as 16saabs say it could easily sheer off in me hand so to speak so hatched a plan, no idea if it'll work.....

Thought of running a length of hose from the drain plug to a tank or whatever then open the plug up a bit, only a bit so then I can start engine and keep topping the reservoir up to flush the system through slowly cos the drain plug will be only be open a fraction.

Sounds a plan or am I just dribbling?!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Thought of running a length of hose from the drain plug to a tank or whatever then open the plug up a bit, only a bit so then I can start engine and keep topping the reservoir up to flush the system through slowly cos the drain plug will be only be open a fraction.

Sounds a plan or am I just dribbling?!
Gonna be difficult with this plan Steve as the thermostat is unlikely to get hot enough to open, so you won't be circulating through the rad, unless you take the stat out. Why not fill it, run it, and empty it a few times. Gonna be as good as you're going to get.

One advantage of this is that you won't be dribbling. :cheesy:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah, first thought was to run it for 3-4 minutes to stir it up and then empty and repeat, but then I'm lazy and thought the water pump could do it for me :cheesy:

Have already changed thermostat and can't be bothered to fiddle with it again, have to get the IAC out of it's way too.

Well it was worth a punt to ask, and I dribble enough when I fall asleep on the sofa so don't want anymore occurrences with anything else!! :D

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
X2 If I was concerned about the coolant left in the block, I'd just get the back end of the car up high and let it drain...
You'd have to jack it up 90 degrees.....
Think about the height of the inlets and outlets.

Draining block = Good
Flushing = Unknown

I think flushing causes more problems than it solves. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I'm thinking of just opening the radiator drain (hard enough...) and just sticking a garden hose into the expansion tank and parking the car over my driveway storm drain. No coolant in there anyway just water.

Thinking about how the lines go, I guess that would just send water straight into the bottom of the rad uselessly. Maybe if I stick the garden hose into one of the heater hoses?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
You'd have to jack it up 90 degrees.....
Think about the height of the inlets and outlets.
Yassuh...I know...I was being all facetious like and stuff. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts