SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coolant bypass Valve went up and I am in the process of replacing it. Would it hurt anything to silicon the openings at the top to prevent it from leaking again. It seem they all fail and leak from these spots. So would a little preventive silicon in these vents be OK or would it prevent the valve from working. Just wondering before I put it back on the car..

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I don't think that would help - once the valve starts leaking internally it's not going to work properly anyways.

You can use this set:

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=5463252

To eliminate the bypass valve entirely. This is the system that non-North American cars use. Not sure what's different in the US that they want that complex prone to failure setup with the bypass.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info
How does that work? I would rather use that then have to worry about replacing the valve again. Could you explain how to hook it together so i can bypass the valve and would it effect the air-conditioning?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
would it effect the air-conditioning?
I think this is the reason the heater valve is used in the first place. The A/C system cannot be as effective when the heater core, which has piping hot coolant flowing through it all the time with no heater valve in place, is within less than a foot of the evaporator.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
The A/C system cannot be as effective when the heater core, which has piping hot coolant flowing through it all the time with no heater valve in place, is within less than a foot of the evaporator.
But yet, the bypass valve is only used in North America. Other countries do without.

I know of one Southern California Saab tech who routinely replaces the bypass valve with the "Euro" heater hose setup and has not seen any difference in A/C.

I will be able to provide a review this summer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think this is the reason the heater valve is used in the first place. The A/C system cannot be as effective when the heater core, which has piping hot coolant flowing through it all the time with no heater valve in place, is within less than a foot of the evaporator.

from what I understand the bypass valve prevents the flow through the heater core only when the A/C is on maximum setting.

having learned this I still replaced mine when it went bad instead of using the elimination route although I feel that is a viable option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts