SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone frab a heat shield for the coolant tank on the 2.8Ts? I want to shield my tank when I get back from the desert. Like almost everyone else, I have already had to take her in for coolant loss issues.

I know Saab has “revised” the coolant tank, but I want additional security. I do not think that it will be too hard. How come Genuinesaab has not developed one? Any takers?

I’ll get-ur-done when I get back. Hope to save us some heartache and pain. LoL

Someone please beat me to the punch will ya!!!!!!

V.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Why bother? It should be just fine. If your concerned get the updated tank (if you haven't already).
I've gotten my car plenty hot several times and have had no problems.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I'm not sure what the setup is for the 2.8, but if all you need to do is keep the heat from the turbo/exhaust from baking the tank then you could probably make something with either roof flashing or even a heavy aluminum baking pan. Both should reflect heat away from the plastic and would be very easy to work with. You've probably noticed that the heat shields under the car are closely related to a foil baking pan :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2.8t

Any 06+ Aero owners have any comments?

As we all know this is mostly a 2.8T issue only.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It is really tight in and around the tank (which I suspect is the root of the problem). You may have better luck with some refractive tape or fabric than with sheet stock. So far I have not had the problem but did get a low coolant warning after about a year of use. I topped off the overflow and have not had a problem since.

As for the "new" tank there is no observable difference between it and the original tank and I take its existance with a grain of salt.

I started a thread a while ago to try to determine just how many people had the problem. I'm not sure how many 2.8T owers use this forum but there were not that many that complained. It is interesting that some have had several new tanks while others (like myself) still have the original. Is there a link? BSR? Climate? It gets pretty hot here in VA but not as hot as some other places.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts