SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums but I've been reading a lot of threads on here for the past year, getting help for some problems with my saab. Hope its not too much of a bother but I have a big problem and I was hoping I could get a little help from the masters :cheesy:. I was driving yesterday, coolant level low shows up on SID and when I stop at the lights I have steam coming out from under the hood, so I pulled over at a walmart and checked under the hood. Seems a pipe with coolant running from the engine to the firewall burst/split near the engine connection and sprayed coolant everywhere. After buying more coolant and trying to pour some in there to get home, it basically trained out of the resivoir (not sure where, but I saw a bunch coming from that split in the tubing). I checked out the tubing today and noticed that it seems to be one standard diameter and then it gets bigger near the connection to the engine. Any help I can get I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
344 Posts
If it's going to the firewall than it's your heat exchanger hose. Clamp it shut with wisegrips on the engine side if you want to continue driving with a broken hose :nono;

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Welcome to SaabCentral, Miz,
The coolant hoses are good for around ten years; at year 7, one is on borrowed time ,IMO.. For some reason, the heater hose assembly( 2 hoses) seems to be the first to go, usually its the upper radiator hose, then the lower....this varies.
The "annual service" could have prevented this..

"Standard diameter" would be nice, the Europeans are strange about this, using hoses of varying diameters - which is costly and, IMO, un-necessry...

http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresults.aspx?&carid=1084&cat=1007 for the hoses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help! I'm gonna call up the local saab dealer and get new tubing then cut/join that with the body of the old one (from engine to end of the tear).

·
Registered
134 Posts
EXACT same thing happened to me. Had the car for about a month and the heater hose about left me stranded, but i was able to limp home before things got too serious.
BTW, has anyone else experienced hoses from eeuroparts having too small inside diameter? or maybe they're an exact fit and the flared ends on hose connections were the cause of my troubles. IDK, just my personal experience.

·
Registered
980 Posts
miz said:
Thanks for the help! I'm gonna call up the local saab dealer and get new tubing then cut/join that with the body of the old one (from engine to end of the tear).
You really don't want to go splicing the heater core hoses. I strongly recommend you get the complete hoses that earthworm provided a link for and replace them both and be done with it. If you want them now, you'll likely pay more at a dealer for the same hoses. And if you plan on doing it yourself, you'll need a SAFE method to support the front end of the car so you can crawl under and gently remove the old hoses from the heater core (at the firewall). The pipes that the hoses connect to at the firewall are very delicate. If the hoses are still stuck after removing the clamps, you'll need to carefully slice the old hoses with a razor and peel them away. I did mine about a 2 years ago (they lasted 10 years on my 1995 900S), and it took a good hour, in my garage on jackstands, with all the right hand tools.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
they're heater-core hoses. Eeuro is the best to get them from, as nowhere really carries them(eeuro's come from australia)

last time mine split, it was because of age, and sitting in cape-cod traffic @ the bourne bridge.... what CRAP....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I called the local dealer today and as I expected $71.37 plus minus a few cents. So Europarts it is! Thanks a ton everybody the help is much appreciated. Keep up the good work! :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
earthworm said:
Welcome to SaabCentral, Miz,
The coolant hoses are good for around ten years; at year 7, one is on borrowed time ,IMO.. For some reason, the heater hose assembly( 2 hoses) seems to be the first to go, usually its the upper radiator hose, then the lower....this varies.
The "annual service" could have prevented this..

"Standard diameter" would be nice, the Europeans are strange about this, using hoses of varying diameters - which is costly and, IMO, un-necessry...

http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresults.aspx?&carid=1084&cat=1007 for the hoses.
this is exactly how it happened to me....im still waiting for the lower one to go tho...that hasnt blown up yet....but when the heater hoses went...and the upper rad hose went....what a mess it made all over the motor...lol....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drew'sSaab said:
this is exactly how it happened to me....im still waiting for the lower one to go tho...that hasnt blown up yet....but when the heater hoses went...and the upper rad hose went....what a mess it made all over the motor...lol....
Yeah that was a fun cleaning job up here in New England at about 11pm for me. I guess I'll just keep the other hose in storage just in case that goes too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I replaced all the hoses and clamps...It all came out to around $100 and about four hours. The hose I got from eeuro was too small in diameter. So it doesn't really fit all the way. I still need to figure out how to fix this problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts