SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - finally got my trusty Saab 90 (current mileage: 248,000) through another MOT with lots of welding, and what happens next? a leak from the coolant reservoir at the seam next to where the side hose from the waterpump joins.

I didn't think this would be much of an issue, until I started searching the web for a replacement tank - none of the usual suspects seems to sell one, although c900 tanks are really easy to find (I have the "cylinder" shaped expansion tank used on 99s).

Does anyone have any bright ideas about where I can get one? Obviously new is preferable to used... and failing that, is there an expansion tank from another common car which I can install instead with minimal bodging? Or is there a reliable way of fixing the crack (gaffer tape, superglue, string etc etc...?)

I'm getting a bit sick of pouring water into the car after every hour of driving - especially since I have a four-hour round trip tmrw (no idea how I'll manage that!)

Thanks guys,
h

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, nutcase - managed to source a replacement s/h from JamSaab in the end - although I think Nick at the SaabV4 company over in Twickenham might have a few as well if anyone else is looking.

My local garage reckoned that Araldite would work as a semi-permanent repair as well, but there are cracks coming through in other places as well on my old one so maybe will leave that for a braver soul!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So - the next question is: how much bubbling in the expansion tank is "normal", and how much is a sign that the head gasket is giving up? (again :( )

New expansion tank arrived this afternoon, and is nicely fitted with no leaking that I can see, and the engine temp when in motion is great - in fact a little below dead centre of the gauge - but it's still running hot when stationary (and getting hotter the longer it sits there (although the fan cuts in - and out - pretty much as it should) and there is a fairly constant slow stream of bubbles into the coolant tank from somewhere.

But - there's no smoke in the exhaust, and like I say it runs cool when in motion, *and* I changed the HG last summer - so it beggars belief that it could have gone again so soon, surely? It's also had a new rad in the last two years so that's not a suspect this time.

Confused? I am....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bled next to the heater switch and by the thermostat - as far as the heater goes, it's jammed to half-on all the time owing to a perished something in the valve but I'll check what happens when I open it flat out.

Other thoughts - (i) maybe the old expansion cap doesn't seal well with the new tank; (ii) it's due new leads and plugs and idling a bit rough (bit of hunting for revs) - can a rough idle lead to overheating problems?

Anyway, I'll do a bit more investigation tomorrow. I suppose even a blown HG isn't the end of the world, as long as the neighbours don't mind me taking the cylinder head off while the car is parked on the road :D

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
The proper bougicord leads last a very long time, if you don't have those, worth the investment (although more critical on turbos). And the correct NGK plugs are a must :)

If the pressure cap is old, it's worth replacing for longetivity even if it's not the culprit in this case.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's happened again, six years down the line! The s/h expansion tank I got back in 2012 has failed totally - this time it had developed a hairline crack/leak when up to temp, and actually snapped in two as I was taking off the hoses.

Has anyone started producing decent replacements for these yet? The site Nutcase shared a link to seems to be down at the moment.
At least the rest of the car still runs...
h

1 - 9 of 9 Posts