SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saab has apparently finally issued a recall on the coolant expansion tank for the 2.8T. I was scheduled to have my second tank replacement today at an indy shop (over $100 cheaper than dealer as I am OOW) and they called this morning to tell me that a recall had been issued yesterday and to call the dealer to have them do it for free. The dealer is even supposed to go and get the tank from him. Called the dealer and they confirmed; set up an appt with them and will get the revised tank installed on Monday!

The dumb thing has been leaking for a few months now, and somehow my procrastination has been rewarded.

FYI, there is still no mention of a recall on the 9-3 in the "GM Owners Center" website as of this morning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a Saab/GM Technical Service Bulletin or an Actual NHTSA Recall? There are no Recalls or TSB's with that number in the NHTSA Database.
Sorry JonV, I don't know. I probably didn't ask enough questions, I was just surprised and excited to not have to pay for it out of pocket. When I called the service adviser I explained my story, he logged into the Saab "software" gave me that recall number and asked for the last 8 digits of my VIN. Perhaps "recall" is not the appropriate term in this instance, but that was what was used.

Would it be an official NHTSA recall if it is not a specific safety-related issue?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think this is a Saab "Campaign",(not an internal or external safety recall),to address the tank problem among the known VIN range with problems.

Make sure to have dealer confirm that the new tank will be installed in accordance with TSB 260-2695 dated Jan'08 or any subsequent amendments thereto,particularly the use of the new pre-formed breather and return hoses and their changed routing.

Talked to local dealer SM a couple of days ago about numbers of expansion tanks that owners are repeatedly going through and was told that since above TSB came out(and parts specified installed),not a single owner has had to come back again. Must be something in the water up here.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Just got mine updated last week at Sewell under warranty.

But thanks for the info.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Nary a problem with my Turbo X -- and just had the first (official) service 3 week ago (@ 9000-ish Km).

Car was asembled in June 08-0--as I understand one of the last of the series.

Dealer didn't mention anything -- but I know there are other X owners who have noted some coolant loss, if only mm.

You've piqued my curiosity! Never mind anxiety...

[Especially that I'm a week now VTuner Stage 0 -- and what an upgrade! -- car is transformed into M3 beast (and much disparaged Auto to boot!)]

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I'd take advantage of the recall though if it applies to your car, why take chances ? :confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Call SAAB customer service with VIN

Yes, just called SAAB CS and they informed me that according to my VIN coolant tank has been recalled and dealers are awaiting shipment of new tanks. 800-722-2872.

I will take my car in for 3yr/36K free service and try to get them to replace my air cabin filter as well. They would not replace the last time and just turned ugly. Going to a different dealer, only dealer in Oregon for that matter.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Yes, just called SAAB CS and they informed me that according to my VIN coolant tank has been recalled and dealers are awaiting shipment of new tanks. 800-722-2872.

I will take my car in for 3yr/36K free service and try to get them to replace my air cabin filter as well. They would not replace the last time and just turned ugly. Going to a different dealer, only dealer in Oregon for that matter.
In 06' they changed the interval to 20,000 for the cabin filter thus eliminating a second free change like before when it was every 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Went to dealership to ask about my recurring SID "low coolant levels" alert and asked about the tank and they ordered all the necessary equipment for the switch without hesitation, so that's nice.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Those of you who get replacement coolant tanks under this campaign,make sure you have part numbers for tanks,hoses and clamps included on your copy of work order. It will be interesting to see part number for this "new" tank.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Mine has been done for a few months now. SID show "Low Coolant", took it in and actually showed them the coolant on the tank. He told me that there was a replacement tank for my car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I got my new tank today and the word "recall" is all over the documentation, but it is in fact a service campaign. Here is what the invoice states:

Customer requests perform recall 15460
Found expansion tank leaking
Performed 15460 recall
Replaced expansion tank, hoses, cap, and updated software

Parts
93-197-033 Expansion tank
92-02-799 Cover

The work completed was consistent with what others have experienced; a new revised tank and a re-routing of the hoses. The service manager also stated that a software update was included to "help the engine run cooler." Here's to hoping its my last tank, and if you happen to be out of warranty and haven't had an updated tank installed, call your dealer because it is on Saab.

·
Registered
402 Posts
AeroCombi;

Thanks for info. That part# they quoted for the tank is identical to the number for a special kit that that we have had up here for quite some time..........too much of a coincidence in my books!!! The kit contained a new tank,preformed hoses,etc.

I guess this explains why problems stopped up here after the TSB came out. Apparently there was no formal 'Campaign" in Canada.......people with a problem tank just quietly had the kit installed with Saab's blessings

1 - 20 of 27 Posts