SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a small hole in the lower hose on the coolant tank. there seemed to be a a screw that had poked the hose and got hot enough to melt into it. while checking it out, i felt along the entire house leading to coolant pump and there seemed to be another small hole under the hose maybe 6-10 inches from the coolant tank. Can I tape this up with heat resitant tape? just until i can order a replacement hose.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update~~~~

Okay.. So took the car out last night for a drive and the temp started at low and increased to almost the H (hot) on the temp gauge after about 15 mins of driving. I got back home and cut the car off, i heard boiling water (thats all i have in my coolant tank, water only) i popped the hood and it was a lot of steam and it had blown off the ca to my coolant tank. any theroies?? i'm going to test the thermostat this morning and feel the rad. hoses after the car is running to see if they get hot, coolant is passing through.
The right fan turned on as i was sitting in the driveway putting the vert top back on with the key turned on, so the fan is working. ONE only though, the left passenger fan does not work, it is not hooked up to anything and not sure where to hook it up to...

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Okay.. So took the car out last night for a drive and the temp started at low and increased to almost the H (hot) on the temp gauge after about 15 mins of driving. I got back home and cut the car off, i heard boiling water (thats all i have in my coolant tank, water only) i popped the hood and it was a lot of steam and it had blown off the ca to my coolant tank. any theroies?? i'm going to test the thermostat this morning and feel the rad. hoses after the car is running to see if they get hot, coolant is passing through.
The right fan turned on as i was sitting in the driveway putting the vert top back on with the key turned on, so the fan is working. ONE only though, the left passenger fan does not work, it is not hooked up to anything and not sure where to hook it up to...
You have a coolant leak, replace the hose you can not effectively patch it. Check for other leaks, there's air in the system/not enough coolant and your car is naturally overheating as air doesn't absorb heat as well as coolant, air in the system can probably also affect how well the water pump moves the coolant. Don't drive it until you fix it unless you want to risk overheating it badly which may require you to replace a head gasket/cylinder head. For the record don't ever pour cold water into an overheating system either.

The screw would have cut the hose through vibration, the alternator doesn't get nearly hot enough to melt a coolant hose. Rectify the issue with the sharp screw.

Your thermostat is probably fine if the top rad hose is hot. Replace any damaged hoses, fill with COOLANT not water, your cooling system will corrode. Bleed the system and report back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have a coolant leak, replace the hose you can not effectively patch it. Check for other leaks, there's air in the system/not enough coolant and your car is naturally overheating as air doesn't absorb heat as well as coolant, air in the system can probably also affect how well the water pump moves the coolant. Don't drive it until you fix it unless you want to risk overheating it badly which may require you to replace a head gasket/cylinder head. For the record don't ever pour cold water into an overheating system either.

The screw would have cut the hose through vibration, the alternator doesn't get nearly hot enough to melt a coolant hose. Rectify the issue with the sharp screw.

Your thermostat is probably fine if the top rad hose is hot. Replace any damaged hoses, fill with COOLANT not water, your cooling system will corrode. Bleed the system and report back.
Okay, I replaced the hose and checked the others and everything is good. I refilled the coolant and started the engine to let it warm up the coolant and check for leaks. I drove around for maybe 15 minutes before having to head back home because the temp gauge was getting hotter and hotter. So replacing the hose didn't work. I also noticed if I turn the AC on the fan on the left driver side (main fan) turns on, but the one on the right doesn't work at all.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
The fan situation is normal. One turns on with the A/C

What are the ambient temps where you live at the moment?

If you've overheated your car recently or the thermostat is years old it could be stuck, generally stick open though. Buy a replacement.

How high is it getting are you sure you're not just panicking?

How old is your water pump?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fan situation is normal. One turns on with the A/C

What are the ambient temps where you live at the moment?

If you've overheated your car recently or the thermostat is years old it could be stuck, generally stick open though. Buy a replacement.

How high is it getting are you sure you're not just panicking?

How old is your water pump?

The temp here is 84 degrees F. drops to mid 70s at night. I live in the south with lots of humidity, but thats not the problem. the previous owner had the car here for 15 years.
I have a new thermostat, but i don't think i can replace it myself. i will give it to a mechanic to replace for me on Monday. i'm not panicking, im sure of it.. The temp gauge gets hot, i go back home, pop the hood, and can only twist the coolant lid off very slightly. once i do that, the coolant starts flowing out and i have to wait about 10 minutes for it to cool, then i'll take the cap completlely off and there is lots of steam coming out. i would expect some type of pressure relief system on the coolant.. I may have to just wait it out until monday to take it to the shop. :cry:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
The temp here is 84 degrees F. drops to mid 70s at night. I live in the south with lots of humidity, but thats not the problem. the previous owner had the car here for 15 years.
I have a new thermostat, but i don't think i can replace it myself. i will give it to a mechanic to replace for me on Monday. i'm not panicking, im sure of it.. The temp gauge gets hot, i go back home, pop the hood, and can only twist the coolant lid off very slightly. once i do that, the coolant starts flowing out and i have to wait about 10 minutes for it to cool, then i'll take the cap completlely off and there is lots of steam coming out. i would expect some type of pressure relief system on the coolant.. I may have to just wait it out until monday to take it to the shop. :cry:
Overheating is a couple of mm away from the top of the gauge, the rest of the variation is normally fine.

The thermostat is 2 bolts to replace, really really easy.

IS the top hose from the thermostat housing to the radiator hot after driving? Is the bottom hose from the radiator really hot or is it noticeably cooler than the top hose?

It shouldn't really matter but have you bled the system? Fill with coolant, close expansion tank cap firmly, start car, open bleed valve - run until coolant ejects from valve in steady stream. Close. This could also help you know if your thermostat is faulty as you won't much if anything coming out of there if the thermostat is stuck closed.

Another simple test of the thermostat is to to remove it, put it in a saucepan with a temp gauge, (read the thermostat opening temp off the side) heat the water until temperature is achieved, look to see that the thermostat mechanism has opened. If not - replace.

They're so cheap they should be replaced as maintenance every couple of years or especially if for one reason or another the car overheats.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
i'm not panicking, im sure of it.. The temp gauge gets hot, i go back home, pop the hood, and can only twist the coolant lid off very slightly. once i do that, the coolant starts flowing out and i have to wait about 10 minutes for it to cool, then i'll take the cap completlely off and there is lots of steam coming out. i would expect some type of pressure relief system on the coolant.. :cry:
Not panicking, just not used to the ways of saab maybe...

After driving the car the coolant will be under pressure. When you unscrew the cap you're releasing the pressure--this lowers the boiling point of the coolant--this causes the coolant to boil out and steam. DON'T open the reservoir cap when it's hot.

Here in TX. (f*#k it's hot here!) my temp gauge runs 1/2 way. It goes a little higher if I'm running the A/C. This is normal for a saab with a 189` thermostat.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Banman, glad you made it down to Texas without incident!

KiriakosM, you should know that the Saab coolant reservoir is under pressure so even after a short drive the cap will hiss and percolate when you loosen it. It's not like other cars that have an expansion tank

Try undoing that cap and running (idling) the car with it off. If your thermostat is open and your water pump is working you should see the coolant flow. BTW, changing out the thermostat isn't that hard a job. Just make sure you get the right "staged" one from a quality vendor and make sure it comes with the outer rubber gasket.

The right side fan, btw, will only come on if your a/c is functioning. The left side is controlled by coolant temperature.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The right side fan, btw, will only come on if your a/c is functioning. The left side is controlled by coolant temperature.
My fans are opposite of this... I've heard saab used different configs for different models/years.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
When you refilled the water, did you open the bleed valve on the thermostat housing? You also need to crack it open once running to free any trapped air. To not spray all over and assure a good bleed I use a length of 1/4 Tygon tubing (clear) to see any bubble or a solid stream of coolant. Also, your temp gauge does not have a "hot zone" on it. Unless it pegs out at the top, you have not yet overheated. Turn on your window defrost full high and that will help bring the temp down a little. If you do not seem to get heat it is most likely trapped air. Good luck on your troubleshooting. I've driven in the deep south and southwest for many years, so might just have a clue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts