SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2006 Saab 93 Aero. The other day I got a warning message that I had low coolant. I bought Prestone Dexcool coolant which is completely orange in color but, when I looked in the coolant tank I can see the coolant was greenish. I took some out to investigate and when taken out it has a transparent orange color but as soon as I pour some on black plastic it turns to a less transparent neon green. (reservoir tank is black plastic) The Preston coolant stays orange on every surface. Is it normal for the coolant to change colors like this? Is it possible that the previous owner mixed orange with green coolant? Can I mix the old coolant with the new one I just got? Or should I flush the whole system?

·
Registered
167 Posts
You got the car I want when I grow up!;ol; Probably just take a quart to satisfy the low level sensor. Check owners manual to see the coolant renewal interval. Probably something like 20K,,,40K,,60K and so on. Yeah,drain and refill if you are near an interval and don't know previous owners maintainance habits.
Can't recall color-changing fluids I've run across

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would top off with distilled water and then plan a drain n flush so you know what coolant is in there and don't mix dissimilar coolants. no sense inducing corrosion just to top off and satisfy a tank sensor.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sounds like the car was filled with green coolant at some point. Not sure what the stock fluid was for your car but be aware that dex-cool is not good for systems that weren't designed for it. Check the owners manual for the correct coolant, sounds like you might be best served by completely draining and flushing the system to make sure you aren't mixing dissimilar fluids.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I recently bought a 2006 Saab 93 Aero. The other day I got a warning message that I had low coolant. I bought Prestone Dexcool coolant which is completely orange in color but, when I looked in the coolant tank I can see the coolant was greenish. I took some out to investigate and when taken out it has a transparent orange color but as soon as I pour some on black plastic it turns to a less transparent neon green. (reservoir tank is black plastic) The Preston coolant stays orange on every surface. Is it normal for the coolant to change colors like this? Is it possible that the previous owner mixed orange with green coolant? Can I mix the old coolant with the new one I just got? Or should I flush the whole system?
Hey man first off welcome to SC. I have the same 93SS but the ARC version which has the same 2.0T high pressure engine. I've already done a coolant flush on this car. This being a GM engine used both by Opel and SAAB .It was designed to use Dex-Cool which is GM's own type of coolant. So you just have to find a brand of coolant that is "Dex-cool approved" (which is an OAT = Organic Acid Technology + Phosphate & Silicate free) and you should be fine. Usually most dex-cool approved coolant will be in between an orange and pinkish color. I can tell you right now that if you are seeing a green tint in your cooling system then it looks like the previous owner was a bit careless and threw in the old green universal coolant. That stuff is good for older asian/american cars. Most importantly though is that you should never really mix not only different coolants, but also different coolant brands as well. You never know how they will react to each other....so just put in the same stuff always to be on the safe side. I would plan soon to do a complete flush on the system...drain it...run distilled water through it...drain it again..and then fill it with new dex-cool.

Best/cheapest dex cool for the $$$ was Zerex Dex-cool (grey silver jug) at NAPA.

·
Super Moderator
20,235 Posts
Take it to a mechanic and have them flush and fill with DexCool (orange stuff). Don't use your garden hose. You need distilled water.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I've read that failure to use Dexcool and mixing it with other coolants can result in a gel forming.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since you just bought the car, my suggestion is to flush the system anyway, it won't cost much but would make both you and your car happier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts