SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Rear fog light is nice to have... Any of you guys put a bulb in for the other side? Does it work? I know they are generally on the driver's side only, but my Land Rover has them on both sides, so I figured I'd ask.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
On the driver's side, I was hoping it might be a bit more useful... again 'vert blind spot, not as bad as the passenger side, but still there. You didn't like the amount of 'wide' it did? Too much? Too little? Or took away too much of the standard mirror?
My 9-5 wagon has a big blind spot on the left side, due to the length of the body. A Smart car or even a Mini can hide next to me on the left.

The wide angle mirror solves that problem, but it's so wide angle, on the inside I see the car's bodywork (which is unnecessary, I know the car is back there....well it should be), while on the outside the limit is actually the mirror housing, which is reflected in the mirror as a black band. And yes, it takes a while to get used to distances. Especially for merging into traffic from a ramp.

I would have preferred a mirror that has the majority flat, but then an outer curved section. Would let me judge traffic better when merging, while eliminating the small blind spot.

My NG9-3 convertible has some visibility issues, but I'm not thinking about replacing the LH flat mirror (the RH is double convex, of course). Well, there are no visibility issues with the top down, and isn't that how you're supposed to drive them? :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also like the following:
  • Key in the Centre. It is funny when others look for the key location to start it, or when passengers see you start it from the centre.
  • Night Panel - Of Course!!
  • Winter mode (and sports) when you have an automatic.
  • Headlight Wipers. - Mine doesn't work at the moment, but they are 'retro' in a way.
  • I like the trip computer.. considering it was state of the art back then.
  • Radio that has FM, MW and Long wave bands.. that's really Retro.
  • Moose tested!
  • The plastic Tweezers in the Fuse box.
  • Our mate SID .. that tells us what's wrong..
  • Cornering lamps (like the backup lamps) .. If you were lucky to get them.
  • Looking at that Turbo Boost Gauge.. and the feeling you get!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The key slot should be on the center console; simply better ergonomics.. Those dangling keys(so many others) are an annoyance, no shortage of those !

·
Registered
604 Posts
Back on "features" - I like the "radio works with car on but shuts off after an hour". I usually turn it on when working on the car for entertainment... and the shut off lets me know how long I've been out there :)
Does that mean you can turn the radio on without the ignition or acc being on?
I have an aftermarket Pioneer DIN 1 that doesn't actually have an off button.
To turn the radio off you switch it to AUX. So the power down thing isn't connected.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
The key slot should be on the center console; simply better ergonomics.. Those dangling keys(so many others) are an annoyance, no shortage of those !
My wife put dangley things on the keyring that keep getting jammed.
Cut keyring ASAP.
If your wife claims, change her.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Does that mean you can turn the radio on without the ignition or acc being on?
I have an aftermarket Pioneer DIN 1 that doesn't actually have an off button.
To turn the radio off you switch it to AUX. So the power down thing isn't connected.
I don't have an OG9-3, but in the 9-5, you can turn the radio on if the car (or radio) has been on, and then you remove the key. There's a limited time to do this. I don't know how much of this is done via a data link to the body computer, and how much is done thorough actual delays in turning off the power. I suspect it's all done in software.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
On the OG-93 I'm fairly sure you can do it any time... just push the button and the radio is on for an hour. You can repeat once it goes off.
but it's so wide angle, on the inside I see the car's bodywork (which is unnecessary, I know the car is back there....well it should be), while on the outside the limit is actually the mirror housing, which is reflected in the mirror as a black band. And yes, it takes a while to get used to distances. Especially for merging into traffic from a ramp.

I would have preferred a mirror that has the majority flat, but then an outer curved section. Would let me judge traffic better when merging, while eliminating the small blind spot.
...:cool:
Ed: So it's NOT like the US/CA right side wide angle mirror that's 80% flat and just a small wide angle section? The entire thing is parabolic?

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
On the OG-93 I'm fairly sure you can do it any time... just push the button and the radio is on for an hour. You can repeat once it goes off.

Ed: So it's NOT like the US/CA right side wide angle mirror that's 80% flat and just a small wide angle section? The entire thing is parabolic?
Huh? The susual two-part RH mirror for OG9-3 has a curved section, and a more-curved outer section. None of it is flat. (The usual RH NG900 mirror is just single curved.)

The LH mirror in this design is, umm, a mirror image of the right. It definitely has no flat sections. (Okay, my 9-5 uses a slightly later design, but same idea.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
All of the above, but even more the fact that in 5 years, I have only done routine maintenances and hydraulic pistons. For a 2000 model, I would call that a really cool feature.

Secretly, the coolest feature is rubbing in how I paid a song for the car they all want! Oh, the jealous looks inspired by this thing. I revel in it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't have them, but the cornering lights in the fog lights are very interesting. It is annoying that the fog light wiring loom doesn't include the cornering, and then you also need to set up the relays etc.
I was thinking of setting them up as an alternative DRL - but I think a good project would be to modify the corner lamp (where the indicator is) - and use the 2nd slot (normally used by the reverse lights in some countries) - I was thinking you could cut the assembly - and install a small DRL that could also be used as an indicator etc -

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
I don't have them, but the cornering lights in the fog lights are very interesting. It is annoying that the fog light wiring loom doesn't include the cornering, and then you also need to set up the relays etc.
I was thinking of setting them up as an alternative DRL - but I think a good project would be to modify the corner lamp (where the indicator is) - and use the 2nd slot (normally used by the reverse lights in some countries) - I was thinking you could cut the assembly - and install a small DRL that could also be used as an indicator etc -
Mort: I've had adding the cornering lights on the project list for a while and checked it out in detail. The only wiring you need to make them cornering lights is to add two wires, one of each direction of the turn stalk... off the left/right switch poles. That runs direct to the cornering lights. The circuit / wire gauge is the same in the cars with and without the corning lights - no relays needed. The stock bulbs are only Then just ground the lights.

Of course, if you want to make them DRL's, that's a different project. I was thinking of doing that to the fogs themselves since I find them totally useless as fog light. Put in some LED's, use them as DRLs. I also though about the reverse lights as cornering lights. In combination with the cornering lamp, you might actually be able to see when cornering. If they were both LED's you could run them all off the same wiring with no relays.

You can drill and dremel the stock lights to take the cornering lamp. I looked at a LOT of lights in the junkyards. Found a number of them with the cornering light but always corroded to useless in the sockets when I was in the Northeast. You might have better luck in your climate. There's also a 9-5 front end light... either the turn or maybe reverse that uses the same socket and those are usually in good shape.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello!
There are (unfortunately) enough Saabs here on some specific junk yards, and I see that some of you are interested in them. If there really is serious interest, I might be able to help you guys out.
Another feature:
  • 'Comfort' blinking (I think that is how it is called in English): when you change lanes, you do not need to put your indicator stalk down and move it up, but just rest your fingers a few seconds on them.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts