SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Other countries have the wide-angle section on both mirrors, and it's amazing having that feature on both sides. I bought the driver's side wide-angle mirror for both my NG900 and my 9-5, and it makes such a huge difference.
Jeremy: Did you have to order the left hand one out of Europe?

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
I did. When I bought the one for my NG900, I got it from a Saab dealer in the UK, but they're long gone. The one I bought recently for my 2000 9-5, which I think is actually the same part that the NG900 and 9-3 uses, came from an eBay seller in the UK. I had to look up the part number on my old copy of the EPC because the newer version on eSaabparts doesn't list half the parts they used to.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
I'll have to look into that. EPC version I have doesn't list them... just the flat US version. I might have the older version on my old hard drive. Will have to check that out.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
I bought one of these for my 9-5 and it's good. A little wider angle than it should be, though.

North American Orio also can sell one, but it's "Made in China OEM".

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
4643706 is the original part number for the LH wide angle glass. There are two listings on eBay. One's an original Spanish-made Saab part from Greece for a slightly ridiculous $73.32, and the other is an incorrect listing for an aftermarket RH mirror.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't like having a wide angle mirror on the driver's side.
My '98 900S convertible has flat mirrors on both sides but I've added a stick on fish eye mirror in the corner on both sides. I like it that way.

My Touareg came with wide angle mirrors on both sides but they were different degrees of angle.
I've changed the driver's side for a flat mirror with a stick on fish eye.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought this could be kind of fun... Listing some of the cool and rather unique little features on a Saab. Here's some of my observations. Trying to leave out some of the obvious ones like the super cool night panel button (which I use often), and the console mounted key (which I really like).

• The front backup assist lights. Very helpful!
  • Glove box latch is oriented for easy use from the driver's side. The latch is sideways.
  • Exterior door handles operate upwards at about a 45 degree angle, which just works really well.
  • The trunk/hatch emergency release can fit into a little groove in the trim panel so it's not just dangling.
  • Hatch lock release button is positioned to be pushed easily with a thumb while opening the door.
  • Sunroof control mounted on the console instead of overhead by the interior lights.
  • Very well thought out vents for back seat passengers.
  • The load space cover is very well done.
  • Rear wiper coming on automatically when the front wipers are on and you shift into reverse.
  • The pockets on the front side of the lower seat cushions are ideal for a cell phone. Out of sight, and easily within reach. Obviously we didn't have compact phones in 2002, but it works very well for most smaller modern phones.
Anyways, just some things I've noticed. This is my first Saab, so some of these are probably not news to a lot of Saab owners. And obviously some of these popped up on other makes.
Nicceee!!!. I was still learning with my 08 before it went out commision..What year is that yall have? You 02 ur saying?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I thought this could be kind of fun... Listing some of the cool and rather unique little features on a Saab. Here's some of my observations. Trying to leave out some of the obvious ones like the super cool night panel button (which I use often), and the console mounted key (which I really like).

• The front backup assist lights. Very helpful!
  • Glove box latch is oriented for easy use from the driver's side. The latch is sideways.
  • Exterior door handles operate upwards at about a 45 degree angle, which just works really well.
  • The trunk/hatch emergency release can fit into a little groove in the trim panel so it's not just dangling.
  • Hatch lock release button is positioned to be pushed easily with a thumb while opening the door.
  • Sunroof control mounted on the console instead of overhead by the interior lights.
  • Very well thought out vents for back seat passengers.
  • The load space cover is very well done.
  • Rear wiper coming on automatically when the front wipers are on and you shift into reverse.
  • The pockets on the front side of the lower seat cushions are ideal for a cell phone. Out of sight, and easily within reach. Obviously we didn't have compact phones in 2002, but it works very well for most smaller modern phones.
Anyways, just some things I've noticed. This is my first Saab, so some of these are probably not news to a lot of Saab owners. And obviously some of these popped up on other makes.
They are one great car. Head of their time. I have purchased a 2001 Griffin estate wagon. I can not believe the gear it has. I drive 93 1999 convertible. Man that's great car too.
Have fun in your Saab

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
I don't like having a wide angle mirror on the driver's side.
My '98 900S convertible has flat mirrors on both sides but I've added a stick on fish eye mirror in the corner on both sides. I like it that way.
I was actually thinking of a fish eye on the passenger side. The factory wide angle isn't enough in a 'vert.

On the driver's side, I was hoping it might be a bit more useful... again 'vert blind spot, not as bad as the passenger side, but still there. You didn't like the amount of 'wide' it did? Too much? Too little? Or took away too much of the standard mirror?

How big a fish eye are you using? Round or rectangular?

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
4643706 is the original part number for the LH wide angle glass. There are two listings on eBay. One's an original Spanish-made Saab part from Greece for a slightly ridiculous $73.32, and the other is an incorrect listing for an aftermarket RH mirror.
Canadian source:
Thanks for the pointers and numbers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You didn't like the amount of 'wide' it did? Too much? Too little? Or took away too much of the standard mirror?

How big a fish eye are you using? Round or rectangular?
My Saab came with flat mirrors on both sides so when I said I didn't like the curved mirror on the driver's side that was in the Touareg.
I find the flat mirror better for estimating distance and speed of oncoming vehicles but I still need a bit of wide angle for the blind spot.

Round. About 2 inches.

For what it's worth, I sit further back than most people.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Back to features:
My Saab came with flat mirrors on both sides so when I said I didn't like the curved mirror on the driver's side that was in the Touareg.
I find the flat mirror better for estimating distance and speed of oncoming vehicles but I still need a bit of wide angle for the blind spot.

Round. About 2 inches.

For what it's worth, I sit further back than most people.
Ah, I see. Yes, it's the distance that's an issue in the 9-3, even though I don't sit that far back... it's just 3' from me to the passenger mirror. The factory wide angle doesn't seem to be enough "wide" from that far away. Looks the same to me.

I'll have to study the driver's side tomorrow. Maybe mark it where the wide part would be vis-a-vis the passenger side and see if I am willing to work without that part of the mirror for normal lane changes. Maybe a fish-eye is the answer for both. My only issue there is that the last time I went looking for fish-eyes, the only thing I could find was plastic-chrome and the optic quality was not that great.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Back on "features" - I like the "radio works with car on but shuts off after an hour". I usually turn it on when working on the car for entertainment... and the shut off lets me know how long I've been out there :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Back on "features" - I like the "radio works with car on but shuts off after an hour". I usually turn it on when working on the car for entertainment... and the shut off lets me know how long I've been out there :)
I didn't know it did that but I've got an aftermarket stereo so it might not.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
I didn't know it did that but I've got an aftermarket stereo so it might not.
Might, might not. I don't know how the power down is handled... just the TWICE cutting the switched power after an hour as it does to other things or some funky can-bus signal type operation where it tells the radio to power off.

Do a test, I'm interested in the results.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts