SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this could be kind of fun... Listing some of the cool and rather unique little features on a Saab. Here's some of my observations. Trying to leave out some of the obvious ones like the super cool night panel button (which I use often), and the console mounted key (which I really like).

• The front backup assist lights. Very helpful!
  • Glove box latch is oriented for easy use from the driver's side. The latch is sideways.
  • Exterior door handles operate upwards at about a 45 degree angle, which just works really well.
  • The trunk/hatch emergency release can fit into a little groove in the trim panel so it's not just dangling.
  • Hatch lock release button is positioned to be pushed easily with a thumb while opening the door.
  • Sunroof control mounted on the console instead of overhead by the interior lights.
  • Very well thought out vents for back seat passengers.
  • The load space cover is very well done.
  • Rear wiper coming on automatically when the front wipers are on and you shift into reverse.
  • The pockets on the front side of the lower seat cushions are ideal for a cell phone. Out of sight, and easily within reach. Obviously we didn't have compact phones in 2002, but it works very well for most smaller modern phones.
Anyways, just some things I've noticed. This is my first Saab, so some of these are probably not news to a lot of Saab owners. And obviously some of these popped up on other makes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I also like the following:
  • Key in the Centre. It is funny when others look for the key location to start it, or when passengers see you start it from the centre.
  • Night Panel - Of Course!!
  • Winter mode (and sports) when you have an automatic.
  • Headlight Wipers. - Mine doesn't work at the moment, but they are 'retro' in a way.
  • I like the trip computer.. considering it was state of the art back then.
  • Radio that has FM, MW and Long wave bands.. that's really Retro.
  • Moose tested!
  • The plastic Tweezers in the Fuse box.
  • Our mate SID .. that tells us what's wrong..
  • Cornering lamps (like the backup lamps) .. If you were lucky to get them.
  • Looking at that Turbo Boost Gauge.. and the feeling you get!!

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
  • The extra wipe 10 seconds or so after window washing is done... to pick up the stray drops (although I admit that I've shut it off in my current ultra-hot climate).
  • The "follow me home" light feature - pull the headlight stalk after shutoff and your headlights stay on for a tune-able time to light your way into the house
  • 4-windows-down feature in the convertible... more common now but innovative back then

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good ones!

Also find it interesting that the SID displays the month & date.

The power antenna... relic of the past, but rather charming to see the 3ft tall antenna in action.

Weather band! I know of other older Euro cars that had it, but still rare. It can still come in handy, even in the smart phone age.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks Bob - I did know that was an option in the TECH2 but I never really used it much.
Handy to know how to activate it.
I also forgot:
  • 'heated seats'.
  • Control over the wipers (front & rear) when used in intermittent mode. Commonplace now.
  • Also being able to set the time & date via 'update' on some radio channels.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Autoliv airbags that have low risk of metal inflator fragmentation unlike Takata airbags used in most other cars at the time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Saabs are cool.
  • Multiple Driver's (and Passenger!) seat settings. Only other car I've had with that was the Infiniti G37XS and that car had more computers than my backpack in College for compsci...
  • I too love the all-4 window button in the convertible.
  • Aren't the fog lights auto-leveling?
  • Light w/ switch in the trunk
  • Side indicator lights
Although I wish there was more pockets, I don't really have space within arms reach for wallet + cell phone + sunglasses + CDs.

The pockets on the front side of the lower seat cushions are ideal for a cell phone. Out of sight, and easily within reach. Obviously we didn't have compact phones in 2002, but it works very well for most smaller modern phones.
Your phone fits in there? I have a relatively small phone these days and I can only fit it in vertically, with about 1/2 - 2/3 sticking straight out between my legs! Maybe my legs are too wide but I can't put mine there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My phone is on the smaller side (galaxy s7), but it totally fits in the pocket sideways, with room to spare.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought of a couple more...

The passenger side mirror having a built-in blind spot section to the mirror.

Also improved forward visibility with the rearview mirror being mounted on the overhead panel.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
The passenger side mirror having a built-in blind spot section to the mirror.
Other countries have the wide-angle section on both mirrors, and it's amazing having that feature on both sides. I bought the driver's side wide-angle mirror for both my NG900 and my 9-5, and it makes such a huge difference.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I noticed that. My CV had flat mirror in left and stupid texts in right.
I changed both to wide angle mirrors (that was about 3rd job).
Here in Europe we have wide angle mirrors in both sides.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
It's one of those silly DOT laws of ours in the US. It's the same reason we never had headlight leveling dashboard controls in the US, or headlights that could be aimed visually. My 1997 900 was old enough that it didn't have the wide angle RH mirror, either, so I ordered both from the UK when I bought the car in 2000. Because of that, it doesn't have "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" on the RH mirror.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did you source the replacement mirror glass from? It would be nice to have the wide angle mirror on the drivers side as well.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
I noticed that. My CV had flat mirror in left and stupid texts in right.
I changed both to wide angle mirrors (that was about 3rd job).
Here in Europe we have wide angle mirrors in both sides.
My 9-5 has no text on the double-convex RH (passenger) mirror. However, the window has a transparent sticker in the lower corner by the mirror, which says (and I may miss some accents):

LES OBJECTS REFLECHIS PAR LE RETROVISEUR
SONT PLUS PRES QU'ILS NE LE PARAISSENT

I see no reason to remove it. :cool:

·
Registered
445 Posts
So on the Wide Angle Glass topic - Can you just replace the glass you have? Ie its plug & play.
Is there anything else you need to do (additional fitments etc).
That sounds like a fantastic 'easy' upgrade.

My mums old 900 (circa 85) used to have a white vertical line in the mirror. I think that was the 'heated' part, or was that the 'join' in the wide-angle bit?

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
My 9-5 has no text on the double-convex RH (passenger) mirror. However, the window has a transparent sticker in the lower corner by the mirror, which says (and I may miss some accents):

LES OBJECTS REFLECHIS PAR LE RETROVISEUR
SONT PLUS PRES QU'ILS NE LE PARAISSENT

I see no reason to remove it. :cool:
I saw million reasons to remove funny sticker and mirror glass.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts