SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the middle of playing around with my exhaust. I have a full 3 inch exhaust turbo back. Two resonators, no cat and a cheap $30 muffler.
I'd like to convert it to dual exhaust. I know it does not help with performance.

I'd like to see if I could drop the noise level down...here is what I am thinking.
If I take the 3 inch pipe and split it to 2.25 inch each, I wont cause any extra back pressure correct?
Then instead of cheap $30 mufflers, I was going to go with two magnaflow mufflers with tips.

I guess my questions are
will doing this quiet my exhaust down? if not why?
Will I cause more back pressure? I plan on doing stage 3 in the future.

Thanks guys

Edit: if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it, Sorry about that.

·
Super Moderator
9,289 Posts
No, you won't increase backpressure.

It will be louder, not quieter. Trust me, I've done it on both my 9-3s.

see my build page for more details.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
The big question is, do you have a basic tune? If not it sounds like you are spending a lot of money backwards so to speak.

Also, the money for a rear valence or splitter for duals is expensive as well as having to essentially reset the whole "drop" of the sysetm because the duals don't come at the same angle.

Are you in the same "Springfield" as Homer Simpson? I think there are like about 40 Springfields in the country.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, you won't increase backpressure.

It will be louder, not quieter. Trust me, I've done it on both my 9-3s.

see my build page for more details.
It looks like you are the guy I need to talk to lol, my goal is to have as little as drone as possible...I noticed in the thread you have a magnaflow resonator. How did that work for you? I am currently at stage 2 from bcb but would like to go to stage 3 down the road...how ever I'd like to have my exhaust to my liking and of course to make the wife happy too. I will also have to look into that magnaflow cat as well.

The big question is, do you have a basic tune? If not it sounds like you are spending a lot of money backwards so to speak.

Also, the money for a rear valence or splitter for duals is expensive as well as having to essentially reset the whole "drop" of the sysetm because the duals don't come at the same angle.

Are you in the same "Springfield" as Homer Simpson? I think there are like about 40 Springfields in the country.
Yeah i am at stage 2 of bcb, I love the look of duals to be honest. however if I can get the noise level/Drone down of my single exhaust id be happy too i guess. lol no I am in springfield mo.

Thank you both for the quick reply.

·
Super Moderator
9,289 Posts
Magnaflow resonator was used only because the stock resonator was falling apart inside and making rattling noises. Didn't feel like getting a $$$ OEM resonator, so I used the Magnaflow.

The key to no drone is using near-stock rear mufflers. I used stock V6 Aero mufflers on mine and Dynomax Super Turbos on my wife's Combi. Honestly, her car is louder than mine. No drone though. Highly recommend a "turbo-style" aftermarket muffler or a pair of OEM V6 mufflers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Magnaflow resonator was used only because the stock resonator was falling apart inside and making rattling noises. Didn't feel like getting a $$$ OEM resonator, so I used the Magnaflow.

The key to no drone is using near-stock rear mufflers. I used stock V6 Aero mufflers on mine and Dynomax Super Turbos on my wife's Combi. Honestly, her car is louder than mine. No drone though. Highly recommend a "turbo-style" aftermarket muffler or a pair of OEM V6 mufflers.

Okay I do not have my stock resonator anymore but I have two aftermarket. My other issue I guess I am having is the exhaust size...I was told that 3inch would be the way to go for stage 3. so that is why ive stayed with 3inch and now i am kinda regretting it. I am assuming that makes a difference when it comes drone?

Again thanks for all your help I am a newbie when it comes to exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
9,289 Posts
I'll reply to your PM but I'll post this here too for other to see. As long as the first half of your exhaust is 3", you're good. The rest can be 2.5", it's not going to make a difference for your tune. By first half I mean DP, piping, and resonator. Basically everything behind rear axle can be 2.5".

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
No drone. Borla like most don't make a muffler specific to Saab but a shop should be able to tell which one can be welded in.

I had a mid range, not the Stinger, but forget the name but ... tell them you don't want the drone. The one I had was great (actually 2 on my Vette), and it had a great deep growl when your foot was in it. At 70 on the Interstate it was real nice and had no annoying drone. Vettes have almost no sound insulation and one big sell is under the carpet noise deadening, but I never needed it at all.

·
Super Moderator
9,289 Posts
No drone. Borla like most don't make a muffler specific to Saab but a shop should be able to tell which one can be welded in.

I had a mid range, not the Stinger, but forget the name but ... tell them you don't want the drone. The one I had was great (actually 2 on my Vette), and it had a great deep growl when your foot was in it. At 70 on the Interstate it was real nice and had no annoying drone. Vettes have almost no sound insulation and one big sell is under the carpet noise deadening, but I never needed it at all.
Just make sure it's a "turbo" style muffler, which means it has multiple chambers. Straight-through mufflers, on the other hand, will give you instant drone.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/06/29/sound-advice-a-quick-guide-selecting-right-muffler/

·
Registered
313 Posts
i'm also in the process of converting to dual. i haven't gone to my local muffler shop yet but what resonators should i use? i was considering one from https://www.aeroexhaust.com. anyone have any experience with them? i just think they look interesting.

·
Super Moderator
9,289 Posts
i'm also in the process of converting to dual. i haven't gone to my local muffler shop yet but what resonators should i use? i was considering one from https://www.aeroexhaust.com. anyone have any experience with them? i just think they look interesting.
looks like snake oil to me.

i used a magnaflow resonator.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quick "related" question

I have the same car as the OP (2003 Arc) and have recently saved up some money that I'd like to put into it. I was thinking of a performance exhaust...but this is something me and my former crappy cars aren't really familiar with...I understand how the system works, just have never had/worked with one. If you guys have any info you could give me regarding what to expect for price and performance, please feel free to share. As well as recommendations for brands etc.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,289 Posts
I have the same car as the OP (2003 Arc) and have recently saved up some money that I'd like to put into it. I was thinking of a performance exhaust...but this is something me and my former crappy cars aren't really familiar with...I understand how the system works, just have never had/worked with one. If you guys have any info you could give me regarding what to expect for price and performance, please feel free to share. As well as recommendations for brands etc.

Thanks!
I would go either Krona, GenuineSaab, or custom. Do a Google search for those 2 names and you'll find what you'r looking for.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would go either Krona, GenuineSaab, or custom. Do a Google search for those 2 names and you'll find what you'r looking for.
The brand names will be more expensive, but the quality is definitely good. If you go custom you'll save a lot of money and just choose what muffler you want. I'm going to go custom and slap on a borla muffler I think.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
When you go to an exhaust shop and have them bend pipe in order to fit your car, along with your choice of mid-muffler and rear muffler.
Yeah, you just tell them what diameter you want the piping (3in, 2.5in) and they fit it to your car. Its a lot cheaper than those pre-built exhaust kits - so if you're on a budget, I'd suggest that.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Got off the phone with the local shop here. They quoted me on a flowmaster system at $300?
Sounds about right. I was quoted around $600 for duals. I'd ask them about how much NOT INCLUDING the muffler, then just add the cost of that on top of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts