SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking into this recently, is it worth doing in the first place? Is there any significant difference in braking ability over the 9-3 rotors? I need to replace all my rotors, but they will surely last another month if I wait until I have more money to cover the upgrade. I have a 2001 9-3 SE with the 16" 5 spokes.

It looks like what I need for the conversion is:
  • 9-5/viggen caliper brackets
  • 308mm rotors
  • cut the brake shield thing so the larger rotors fit.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I think that, unless you do a lot of towing, or drive at autobahn speeds, the stock 9-3 setup with good quality pads and rotors are more than adequate. Saab equipped its base 9-5s with the same setup (at least initially--later the rear brake caliper was improved), and those are much heavier cars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that, unless you do a lot of towing, or drive at autobahn speeds, the stock 9-3 setup with good quality pads and rotors are more than adequate. Saab equipped its base 9-5s with the same setup (at least initially--later the rear brake caliper was improved), and those are much heavier cars.
That's good enough for me, I'll stick with the regular rotor size. I thought maybe it would be interesting to do, but probably more effort than its worth.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
You do not need to cut backing plate.
I highly suggest bigger front brakes, you will notice difference.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
You do not need to cut backing plate.
I highly suggest bigger front brakes, you will notice difference.
I guess the question is, whether the difference is worthwhile. If you have a car on the heavier end of the model range, why not? It is true that my experience was with about the lightest NG900 you could get in North America.

Make sure the spare tire fits over the brakes if you're upgrading! Otherwise a flat tire may require a double step.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I find the brakes on my '02 9-3SE adequate but nothing more. Even on the street they feel inferior to the '02 Viggen. I think the stock 9-3 brakes are similar to Saab 9000 brakes, which is what I've got on my SPG. They work well there, with 600 or so lbs less to stop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just did this on my 95, I was having some braking issues and wanted to change the calibers so I thought why not. It looks much better for the backing plate is made for this larger rotor but the pads are the same size as the smaller rotor so do not see much improvement going forward, perhaps if you live in a hot climit for the rotors are slotted now. Easiest is just to buy rebulit calipers they bolt right on, got mine at Carid for like $40 the junk yard wanted $75 go figure. Went with EBT rotors and their green pads still braking them in

·
Super Moderator
2,929 Posts
Best upgrade I did to my NG900 HX35 build was larger front and rear brakes. For rears I went with vented 9-5 Aero brakes. It make the braking feel so "even" instead of front heavy. Going fast is fun, but stopping well is nice too! SS lines were a nice upgrade too.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Best upgrade I did to my NG900 HX35 build was larger front and rear brakes. For rears I went with vented 9-5 Aero brakes. It make the braking feel so "even" instead of front heavy. Going fast is fun, but stopping well is nice too! SS lines were a nice upgrade too.
Like I said, if you drive really fast, or tow often, or have a particularly heavy car (convertibles are heavy), then a brake upgrade is worth considering.

But also people put on poor-quality or unsuitable rotors and pads (race pads aren't better on the street, they suck on the street). Instead of getting good quality rotors and pads, they "upgrade" to....bigger poor-quality or unsuitable rotors and pads. It doesn't quite work out.

I did upgrade my 9-5 wagon, as it is on the heavy end for Saabs (lots of accessories), and I do have a hitch and have towed. I used Saab rotors and pads for the 308mm front and vented back rotors. Car stops very well three years on, with no pulsing or other issues. Only thing is that the pads do dust like crazy.

·
Registered
467 Posts
So can check some stats here - I have 16" rims ALU26 running on 205/50 tyres.
I think my brakes are the 286mm or 288mm version.
Based on my understanding of the above - are you saying that I can upgrade to a bigger brake setup with 308mm? ie the Viggen setup - and the 16" rim would still fit?
or is basically advisable to have 17" rims for the 308mm?

I'm happy with my 16" rims, but never considered a brake upgrade was possible - only better rotors eg slotted.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Yes they fit. You still may consider 17" wheels.
Slotted rotors are not better than original. Slotted rotors make noise when braking.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
So can check some stats here - I have 16" rims ALU26 running on 205/50 tyres.
I think my brakes are the 286mm or 288mm version.
Based on my understanding of the above - are you saying that I can upgrade to a bigger brake setup with 308mm? ie the Viggen setup - and the 16" rim would still fit?
or is basically advisable to have 17" rims for the 308mm?

I'm happy with my 16" rims, but never considered a brake upgrade was possible - only better rotors eg slotted.
Yes, 16" alloy or steel rims fit fine over the larger rotors. Remember the 9-5 uses basically the same wheels as the NG900/OG9-3 (same offset, sometimes same model). The rims fit fine on the 9-5 with the larger rotors--there is no OG9-5 requirement I know of for 17" rims.. And in fact I have a set of 16" "snowflake" rims (ET49) on my 2004 9-3 Aero which also has the bigger rotors.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
If you have 16" Super Aero rims, they will not fit with 308 mm brakes.
Yes, there are 16" Super Aero rims for ng 900/og 9-3/og 9-5.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
There was a set of five-bolt Super Aero rims for sale for quite a while locally. I would have bought them (after doing due diligence) if they would fit on my 9-5 with Aero brakes front and back.

·
Registered
422 Posts
As an owner of a 9-5 with 308mm brakes, one thing to note is that the pickings are pretty slim right now for replacement rotors. Also, most pads specify that they are for the smaller size. Choices are very limited in the 308 world.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts