SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my long-term desires for my 1997 900 SE turbo has been to convert it to a 2.3, especially now that I own a pair of 9-5 Aeros and know what those engines are capable of. The easiest way to do that would be to drop in a 2.3 liter engine from a 9000, but those aren't exactly common anymore. Normally aspirated 900s show up from time to time at the local Pick and Pulls, though. Has anyone taken the engine block from a N/A 2.3 900, complete with crankshaft and pistons, and used that in a 2.0 turbo to convert it to a 2.3? Are there any ports or connections missing on a 2.3 block that would prevent me from swapping over all of the turbo parts? The plan would be to keep my existing head, manifolds, and any other external engine parts. I know that after doing this, I'd need to get a revised ECU, too.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the turbocharged B234 in the 9000 uses different rods and pistons than the N/A version in the 900? It was hard to tell from all of the different part number listings on the parts diagrams.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
There are quite a few differences between NA and turbo in there. I would be a little concerned with boosting a non-turbo - even the NAs were known to break rods now and again. Not the stoutest engine Saab made.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts