SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a problem with my convertible top on my '95 900S.

My wife usually drives the car so she like to keep it up all the time as to not mess up her hair...Anyway, this weekend I put it down and took the car out for a drive as the weather was great.

This morning when I went to put the top back up, I found out that the two back catches just would not insert into those two slots on the back plastic decking. I took off the plastic covering under the deck. I saw the motor and linkages and noticed that the locking mechanism, which slides across & holds the two top roof catches, does not seem to be sliding over to allow the catches to insert.
Now the only way I can drive the car is with the top down...

I'm thinking that the motor is bad which controls the side flaps and sliding lock mechanism but wanted to get some feedback

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have the same problem. Mine is intermittant (spelling?), sometimes it'll work fine and other times the 5th bow locking mechanisms won't move out of the way causing that same ~2" gap that you are experiencing. I've researched it a bit and i think it's 1 or two microswitches that are malfunctioning. I have yet to take it to a mech to get it checked for lack of $. I hope this helps a bit, good luck.
Peter

P.S. driving with that gap there is just fine as long as the windows aren't open when you're on the freeway. At normal speeds (i'd say up to 50 or 55 mph) it'll be fine even with the windows down. At highway speeds i get worried about possible damage to the tonnaue motor.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I believe D. Platonoff said that sometimes this mechanism jams, and it may respond to tapping or removing the motor from the gears to unjam it. I can tell you from experience that trying to force it will make things worse. Disconnect the rods from the latches, and try to determine if the motor and the gears are jammed. You will note that the latch motor has two wires to it. Apply 12v to one and ground the other will cause the motor to run in one direction, reverse the
polarity and the direction of the motor reverses. Search this forum for a thread by flyhop for some related information.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I got it figured out. I found the flyhop thread and read everything in there and realized how complicated these things are to work on so I decided to try "simple" first rather than fool around with any electrical parts or switches.

John, I think your suggestion about the motor being bound up helped me move to the correct solution.

I took the plastic shroud off exposing the motor & linkages under the plastic tonneau cover. My rods were "stuck" in the locked position. I removed the small cotter pins and the linkage pin to disconnect the actual latches on both sides from the motor....there seemed to be a lot of pressure on them and it was difficult to just remove the linkage pin.
Once I disconnected those I tried to operate the top but my battery just died. I jumped the battery with another car battery and tried to operate the motor without the latches connected. I heard some noises indicating that the motor was working so I connected the linkages back up and it now works.
I noticed that one of the plastic guide pins going through the latch on the driver side was broken which probably was the cause of the problem so I'm going to try & get a replacement plastic guide from Saab sometime this week but at least the top works for now and we can drive the car. I won't try putting the top down until I replace that plastic guide pin. ;)

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, thank you. Ill check this with my car and see if it helps. Was your problem, by any chance, intermittent?
No this was not an intermittent problem although I've always had problems with the top lining up but never where the latch was stuck in the locked position.

I think the broken plastic guide pin has something to do with the linkages binding up and I will replace it if I am able to buy just that small piece from Saab, otherwise I'm going to have to fabricate a replacement part myself.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Ahh well. I might still gt lucky with your aproach - Although, the fact that my problem is intermittent seems to indicate a failing microswitch rather than something mechanical.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh well. I might still gt lucky with your aproach - Although, the fact that my problem is intermittent seems to indicate a failing microswitch rather than something mechanical.
I have found that in many cases with all kinds of repairs that simply cleaning something will fix the problem.
Make sure to remove/clean any dust or debris from around the switches...you can also buy an electronics spray cleaner that is safe to use on electrical contacts and stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts