SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, been having issues with the canvas convertible top on my 1997 Saab 900s. I tried 303 protectant and Ragg Topp. Let me tell you, I believe that Ragg Topp was probably one of the worst products I have used. Now the 303 protectant worked wonderful and the water beaded off the top effortlessly. This is the same top that was like a coffee filter and drenched me every time it rained. Thank God there is a decent product out there to salvage tops that need waterproofed again. Just my .2 cents.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I found RaggTopp to be pretty effective. Gave the top 3 coats over three weeks and completely sealed up a half-dollar size leak between the 3rd and 4th. I considered 303 but couldn't find enough info on it.

I gotta ask.....did you use the raggtopp (in a close time frame) before the 303 so you got the best of both?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used RaggTopp first. Cleaned and applied 3 coats, and it didn't protect or waterproof the canvas at all. In fact, we had some rain 3 days later, and I was drenched coming home from work. With 303, I applied 2 coats with brush, and tested it out and it beads up and disperses the water freely. I did clean off the Raggtopp prior to applying the 303, just FYI.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the 303 canvas cleaner and went over the top 3 times, then let dry. Then brushed on the 303 protectant in two coats. This is what was told to me by the company to get the old RaggTopp off. I believe that RaggTopp is a decent product for newer tops, but not ones that need extensive waterproofing.

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T
6 Posts
I see this is an old thread, but would like to add my own experience circa 2020...... bought an 07 93 vert last month, Woman owner (Not A Bad Thing).... But I did notice that water was saturating through the top...... So off to the internet I go for education on the proper way to clean and waterproof the top....... I see that Ragg Topp is the recommended product for the Fabric top ..... I'm quite sure that the previous owner had never had the top treated..... Ever.... so I purchase Ragg Topp cleaner & "6" cans of the top protectant.

3 cans of the protectant will produce 2 coats spaced out 1 hour per coat...... I wait 12 hrs. with temps in the 60's & 70's to check top..... Water check the top and see a little beading but water still going into top ...... so I allow the top to dry in direct sunlight for many hours then repeat the treatment procedure again....... Water check and find better beading but water still going through the top.

By this time I'm quite frustrated seeing that I've spent nearly $170 bucks and many hours of "My" time on this.

Now I switch to the 303 Fabric cleaner and purchase two 32 oz. bottles of protectant.... 2 Bottles, not 6 cans! Clean top again, allow to dry and treat with the 303 protectant ...... One 32 oz. bottle will provide 2 coats ..... waited 24 hrs. then treated again with 2 coats from the 2nd bottle..... Water check and to my delight water just falls off the top as it should.

303 For The Win!!!!

By the way, I saw several videos showing people using a Pressure Washer to clean the top....... Never Ever Use A Pressure Washer To Clean A Fabric Top!!!!! I own a Pressure Washing Company and see the damage these things do in the wrong hands everyday........ Scrub with a soft to medium brush then garden hose rinse off.

Just Saying & Hope This Helps

·
Registered
604 Posts
I used Starbrite marine canvas water proofer.
It worked great in the Australian summer storms, 4 inches of rain in one hour then an inch an hour for a few hours.
Previously the top leaked like seive.

I'm pretty sure it's silicone paste dissolved in Stoddard fluid.

·
Registered
2000 93 Vert Auto : 2001 93 Vert Manual
53 Posts
I use Starbrite as well. I find it needs a reapplication of two coats every year.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The Starbrite with water is for marine use, so that organic solvents don't wash off into waterways. The organic solvent variant is for non-marine use and smells until solvent evaporates. Seems to work OK, except for some runoff streaks on side windows near A-pillar.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The Starbrite with water is for marine use, so that organic solvents don't wash off into waterways. The organic solvent variant is for non-marine use and smells until solvent evaporates. Seems to work OK, except for some runoff streaks on side windows near A-pillar.
I doubt you get any solvent out of my roof.
I lower the windows a bit and pop the catches at the front of the roof and use sheets to mask it all off.
Don't get it on the glass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Love the starbright, one small spray bottle and no leaks for almost 2 years. My wife’s 05 was leaking like crazy and filling up the rear foot wells. Two coats no more leaks and black top looks great. Just rubbed two coats in with gloves. Does not take much. Good stuff, cheap fix 😎

1 - 13 of 13 Posts