SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I recently purchased this low mileage 9.3 and the 5th bow was not latching. The previous owner had driven it this way for over a year and thought there was some problem with microswitches, but could offer no details. I found the pump was low on fluid, filled it, and found the top would run up and down just fine. But, the 5th bow would still would not latch. I watched and the tonneau motor was latching and unlatching as it moved, and with the top stowed the tonneau was properly latched. I adjusted the 5th bow latches and slid them back a bit so they no longer hit the front edge of the tonneau cover holes. Then the fitting on the "P" line to the top cylinder blew and I figured that may have been age, so I replaced it. Today I checked the 5th bow microswitches on tonneau cover and found 1 of them did not ever close the circuit, so I jumpered it as if the switch was made and tried again. This time the 5th bow got closer to latching, but then it blew the "G" line on the passenger side cylinder! So, here are my questions:

1. Do the right and left tonneau microswitches (for the 5th bow being down) perform different functions? I presume that when these switches are closed the motor will lock the 5th bow in place.
  2. Is there a microswitch which should shut off my pump before it blows my fittings apart? In both cases the swedge fitting let loose of the hose. I find it hard to believe both of these were just coincidence, but it is a 15 year old car with the original hoses.
  3. Is there anything which tells me what each microswitch should do?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I later realized I had forgotten to reconnect the electrical connector which drives the tonneau motor. So, it may have worked correctly had I done that. I'm taking the G line out this morning and hope to get it repaired locally today.
I'd still really like to know which micro-switch is supposed to control what aspect of the circuits.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My 5th bow on 03 9-3 SE having similar issue

5th bow does not return back to horizontal on its own. On lowering, it will raise to allow cover to open, but I think on stowing the other bows motion pushes it down to horizontal as rest of bows follow to stow into trunk. On raising, the 5th bow will go to vertical but then after cover drops down and latches, the 5th bow never drops to latch. I have to exit car to manually lower it down to cover then activate switch again to latch it down. Its the only thing not working on the top. Going to investigate the motor/cylinder but strange because it does lift to vertical it just won't drop from vertical to horizontal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts