SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to put the top down on my Viggen and.. the cover rises like it's supposed to, then the roof slowly raises.. then it says Soft Top Failure. It fails RIGHT before the top finally folds (that split it makes after it's raised, the main hinge).

After trying again, the hinge finally goes and it works again. I always have to retry it twice or so. It almost seems like the tension on the fabric is just too high..anyone have this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i'm having a similar problem when closing the roof it's as if there isn't nough power to close to roof. If you get any good advice could you let me know. Thanks:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to help but my top is a mess. the back hatch closes onto the top sometimes. The latches don't work, allowing exhaust into the back seat. The motor grinds (I think it's because it wants to open without the back window raising first, etc, etc. This car is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned...the dealer can't repair it either ( 2 head gaskets, new computer, new radio, tape deck, a/c system, clutch mechanism and engine light still on!!!:evil: I won't ever buy another one of these things and I've talked at least 7-8 others out of them, too.

I have not had 6 months of trouble-free driving since I bought this 'car' in 1999. Never again!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah BPCPOOLE, I'll be taking to dealer on Friday. To you sir.. I'm sorry you've had so many problems with your SAAB.. I know what you mean, I owned a 1996 900SET with so many problems I just couldn't take it. Sold it.

That sounds like a lot of problems though, you sure your dealer is the place you can take it? Sometimes the Techs don't know anymore than you might..just some food for thought.

-Avinash

·
Registered
304 Posts
607078553 said:
I'd like to help but my top is a mess. the back hatch closes onto the top sometimes. The latches don't work, allowing exhaust into the back seat. The motor grinds (I think it's because it wants to open without the back window raising first, etc, etc. This car is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned...the dealer can't repair it either ( 2 head gaskets, new computer, new radio, tape deck, a/c system, clutch mechanism and engine light still on!!!:evil: I won't ever buy another one of these things and I've talked at least 7-8 others out of them, too.

I have not had 6 months of trouble-free driving since I bought this 'car' in 1999. Never again!
That is why I never buy convertibles: They are not worth the money people pay for them. I always feel that buying a convertible is like being charged a full price for a car that is missing an important part, namely the roof. I think that cars with moonroofs are suffcient enought, but this is me.

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same here man. I never liked convertibles, until I got one. I wanted a Viggen, ANY Viggen that was taken care of. I set out scouting Connecticut until I found a couple, but the convertible Vig was the one with least miles and a better PO (He used as summer car).

I knew this was gonna happen and luckily, I prepared for it by getting a lot of cash to spare with this SAAB. SAABs for me, mean one thing.. money pit. I've had so many problems in the past but I was willing to put it aside. Outside of rims and this top problem, I really haven't had many problems.

I knew the top was gonna have problems, it was just a question of when. Last summer I remember hearing all the problems about SAAB convertibles and how expensive it was to repair to the motors and bows etc etc, microsensors and all that fancy schmancy stuff.

It's too bad I ended up like the convertible, problems or no problems.

-Avi

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
i'm having a similar problem when closing the roof it's as if there isn't nough power to close to roof. If you get any good advice could you let me know. Thanks:D
This happens once in a blue moon on with the swiftmobile. Here's the solution.

1. Get out of car.
  2. Go tuck the roof down into its storage area.
  3. Return to driver's seat and try the switch again.
It is due to the roof folding slightly differently than it usually does, in my experiences.

HTH

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE!: Fixed!

The microswitch closest to the drivers side rear seat was not working correctly because the metal portion(thin silvery part) wasn't being triggered with a smooth surface. It got caught on a ridge and didn't work until it was bent back and smoothed. Took about 6 minutes to fix.

-Avinash

·
Registered
8 Posts
Microswitch

Can you tell me where this switch is located? I am having the same problem. I had the U-Joint? fixed by the dealer last Aug. and had this same message a week leter. I went back and he fixed it in about 5 minutes. Now that it is getting warm in NC, I am having the same problem. The dealer now says I should bring my car in and leave it for the day to have it examined and maybe have the switch replaced for ext. $280 plus 1hr and 30 min. of labor.

Thanks,

Arlena
Durham NC
2000 Saab 9-3 convertible

1 - 9 of 9 Posts