SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Convertible top - long term health?

We're currently leasing an 07' convertible which we really have enjoyed. We've about 10 mos left on the lease and are just starting to think bout what we'll do so we can budget appropriately.

After 10+ years of leasing I'm tired of the leasing cycle and want to buy outright on the next car(we own our second car outright as well...I'd like to get rid of payments).

This is our third Saab, we've been happy with all of them but all have been leased and we've never put more than 24k miles on any of them during the 3 year leases(this one will also be right aruond 24k when the lease is up).

I'm thinking about buying this car at the end of the lease since I do like it, don't want to pay out of pocket as much as a brand new one 'vert will cost us, it's so far been mostly trouble free(just a couple minor non engine issues). It'll have low miles and lots of life ahead of it.

My main concern is the top and the expense of fixing that should it ever fail. Over the long term do the Saab convertible tops tend to hold up?

If we don't buy this one, we'll probably go back to the sedan but we may finally leave saab and go back to acura if we buy instead of lease as the plan is to keep whatever we buy for 100k miles....

Just curious what if any experience folks have had with the tops as the miles and years pass by....

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
No Problems with the Convertible Top

We have a 2000 9-3 SE and have had absolutely no problem. Actually, quite the contrary. We returned to Colorado after spending 8 years in northern CA. The top held up well in the Central Valley summer heat. It's well insulated so the AC had no problems. Since returning to CO two years ago, the high altitude sun and UV haven't affected it. My wife was actually worried it might collapse in a snow storm, but last winter I got caught at the start of what turned out to be a 37 inch snowfall. I couldn't make it home, so I left it in a parking lot a couple of blocks from the house. I returned the next day to find about two feet of snow over the car. The top did great, as did the rest of the car. Of course, here in Colorado, we do have that lightweight champagne powder snow :cool: !!!

All in all, the top is great and shows no sign of wear after nearly 8 years of use. And we do like to put that top down in the summer!

Hope this helps.

JM

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently posted on a problem that I am having with my cv, over here in the UK.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115307

From the responses received, this does not seem to be a common problem. However, when I was in the dealers, one of the convertibles that they had in stock (early 2006 model, I think) showed exactly the same stretching. I now think that the stretching is not "front to back" but across the car.

I haven't had a response from Saab UK as yet, but will post when I do.

So, it looks as if this is an isolated problem, and that generally cv hoods wear well. Also, I guess that you do not see the same wet weather that challenges us here in the UK. The problem I have is much much worse when the hood is wet.

Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts