SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I had my 2005 9-3 Aero convertible in storage for about a year and was really happy when I just took it out for a spin. I brought the top down and noticed the lid stops before closing completely, seemingly by some phantom in the trunk but the trunk is completely empty. If I fiddle with the top and move it up and down several times it eventually goes down completely, but any suggestions on how to make it go down right the first time? Is there something that needs to be lubed, never have done any maintenance on the top per se.

I'm attaching some images so you can see where it gets stuck.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Haven't fooled with the roof much, but am curoious to see what the solution is....

Sean

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I recently had this happen after not having any issues since I got the car at the end of June.

My issue started after I treated the roof with the three step Renovo process. I suspect the process has made the fabric slightly stiffer and it takes a little more time for it to compress into the boot. Hopefully it will loosen up a bit over time.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I recently had this happen after not having any issues since I got the car at the end of June.

My issue started after I treated the roof with the three step Renovo process. I suspect the process has made the fabric slightly stiffer and it takes a little more time for it to compress into the boot. Hopefully it will loosen up a bit over time.
That's a creative thought, but unfortunately it's not the case. The top doesn't settle in the boot after you lowet it, it is mechanically pulled into the compartment by the hydraulics. So you can pretty much bet it's completely flat when it goes down. New tops are stiffer than the renovo would make them, and they close just fine. I think it has something to do with the position of the header latches when the top is lowered. If you look in the boot b4 the tonneau cover glides into place, u see the latches sticking up. I have a feeling they close into 2 holes on the back if the cover, the same way they lock to the windshield when the top is up. And when the tonneau cover closes maybe they pull the back down, if they're not in the correct position maybe the tonneau cover sits on top of them instead of getting pulled down and locked by them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never manually lowered or touched, always automatically. It's very odd, it doesn't seem like the cover is not going down as if you try to push it down it doesn't go down anymore.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Never manually lowered or touched, always automatically. It's very odd, it doesn't seem like the cover is not going down as if you try to push it down it doesn't go down anymore.
When it gets stuck, does it prevent the beep at the end and not let the windows Lower automatically? Or does the car think it's all the way down?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car gives the same beep as when something is in the trunk obstructing the top from closing. I then move it up a little, and bring it back down and then it closes. Maybe there really is something obsctructing, or the machines thinks there is. The trunk is empty though so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Could the sensor in the top storage/boot area be on its way out? Wonder if Tech 2 would show anything code wise....

Sean

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Good suggestion, I wonder where that sensor resides.
Maybe the storage compartment sensor is just slightly out of alignment. The sensor is on right side of storage compartment, u can see it with toneau cover slid back over trunk and back window raised. Raise the top and release the button at this position. You can lift the hinged black carpet panel and see the cable drive and hinge for the cargoset panel. Also maybe one of the hinge sensors on the hard toneau cover hinges, again visible with cover slid back over trunk. They're attached to the hydraulic cylinders, check if one or both may be loose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts