SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Where is the leak?

Do you know if the convertible top was serviced before? GM dealers should be able to give the recall/service history. There was at least one customer satisfaction campaign on the 2004 top.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
The most common leak point seems to be the hydraulic cylinder that locks the front of top to the windshield frame. In the US it it possible to remove them and send them to be rebuilt. Tophydraulics.com is one excellent vendor that does this. They have excellent instructions on their website. This leak usually presents itself with hydraulic fluid leaking inside cabin near windshield.
If leak is showing as a puddle on ground it is likely one of the other six hydraulic cylinders. Same places can rebuild those as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
The most common leak point seems to be the hydraulic cylinder that locks the front of top to the windshield frame. In the US it it possible to remove them and send them to be rebuilt. Tophydraulics.com is one excellent vendor that does this. They have excellent instructions on their website. This leak usually presents itself with hydraulic fluid leaking inside cabin near windshield.
If leak is showing as a puddle on ground it is likely one of the other six hydraulic cylinders. Same places can rebuild those as well.

This is a video, Is this the same thing ? My top stopped working When this happed would that causes the top from working?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Yes, that certainly looks like a leaking first bow locking cylinder.

It keeps the top from working because either the top can't unlock from the windshield, or the system pressure is too low and it runs out of fluid.

You have to unlock the top manually and extract the cylinder and get it fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, that certainly looks like a leaking first bow locking cylinder.

It keeps the top from working because either the top can't unlock from the windshield, or the system pressure is too low and it runs out of fluid.

You have to unlock the top manually and extract the cylinder and get it fixed.
THANK YOU!
the kind of reply I was looking for, do I need 2 or just one?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
It's just one cylinder. But it's expensive to find or to get fixed, hundreds of dollars. Even though it's the size of a vape thing.

It is unfortunately VERY common on 2004 convertibles. My car needed it, another 2004 I test drove needed it, and I've seen an ad or two for "2004 convertible, top needs one part fixed".

I came across a 2004 convertible in the junkyard with a non-leaking cylinder. Needless to say, I grabbed it and I'm hanging on to it. (Stupid thing, it was only a few weeks after I paid the money to get the one from my car sent out and fixed....and the yard asked like $20 for the wee thing.)

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
By the way, my top still has those same stains as in the video. I also grabbed the manual unlocking linkage and the bottom trim from the junkyard car. The fluid goes everywhere, so I replaced the trim (which includes a hard foam stuffer) rather than trying to clean it. Also the previous owners had reamed out the manual unlock hole so I had the shop replace the linkage--it's not so easy, the screws go into blind holes with nuts on the other side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I heard about Top hydraulics, they want $200 dollars, I might go to a junkyard! I am DIY inclined do you think this can be done at home myself? i read this and doesn't seem that much Complicated?
or should I just take the part to a mechanic and let him deal with it.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Removing and reinstalling the cylinder is no big deal, you can do this yourself.

Tophydraulics has instructions here:

This also lets you verify that it's leaking, although the evidence is overwhelming.

Make sure you have lots of rags and coverings so you don't get hydraulic oil all over your interior.

Good luck finding a 2004+ convertible in the junkyard! The good thing is that, if you do find one, it should be quickly obvious whether the cylinder is leaking or not.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
It is likely that a junkyard cylinder will develop a leak sometime in the future. A rebuilt cylinder from Top Hydraulics will likely outlive the car. They use a better type of seal than the original. Just my 2 cents from someone who’s been in this boat.

Reactions: Compdev

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
That gives you a chance to operate the top while the leaky cylinder is out for repair. And of course the junkyard cylinder may be a later one with a better seal, or already rebuilt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts