SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on my '86 convertible and have noticed that the steering wheel seems considerably lower than any of the 3 or 4 door Saabs I've had. Is this normal? This is my first 'vert and I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to be like.

Typically I have my seat at the top height position (older seat with 2 heights) and the seat back relatively upright. On the other models, I'm able to see most of the speedometer through the steering wheel, with only the top of the "55" cut off from view. Even with lowering the seat to the lowest position and leaning the seat back much futher than I normally would, I can't see anything above the inner "KmPH" ring at the top. The steering wheel blocks the view of about "40" mph to "70" mph.

I guess that it seems to me that the geometry should be the same. The parts all seem to be the same apart from the shape of the windsheild. Could there be a problem I should be looking for that would change this geometry? Or, is it normal for a 'vert to be different in that respect? What have you owners of both 'verts and coupes experienced between the two?

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
steering wheel blocks various views according to seat height and owner height, I could never see the cel light when it was on, and the wife did'nt realise she had a fog light switch or offside mirror adjuster(or forgot) as hidden by s wheel, regarding steering wheel location, I have had 34 900 up to now, 2 verts 200 5 fdr at mo, and everything seems to be the same, there will always 'feel' a difference from one to the other as the seat is never exactly in the same position as the other one's, but although the vert windsheild is different, all the body parts etc are interchangable bonnet wings etc, so everything must be in same set up, different seat fittings/types might make it feel different but other than that should be all the same

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That makes me think there must be something wrong with the steering column assembly then. It's very obviously lower and at a flatter angle as it sits right now compared to every hatch/coupe/sedan I've ever owned (I've owned quite a few as well, but not 34!). I would also agree that they vary slightly in terms of seat height with model year, the later models offering more height variations and greater legroom adjustment, but they do seem to be otherwise identical and that's what I expected from the 'vert.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
I had a 3 dr hatch and the 'cage 'round the column broke, so steering wheel lay a bit lower, if you can move the steeing column up and down this is probably similar prob, as the connections at the front behind s/w are very thin

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, here was the culprit:

I replaced the MISSING bolts and now my steering wheel is in the proper location similar to my other 900s. :)

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
well I was in the right area for prob, mine just suddenly started moving up and down when I turned the wheel and then I noticed it moved when stationary so knew something was amiss, yours is easier fix than mine was new cage required

1 - 6 of 6 Posts