SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm about to purchase a new convertible roof from ebay and I'm in to minds on which roof to purchase. I'm deciding on either the harts made of vinyl material roof or the stayfast made of cloth/canvas material for a DIY job. The stayfast is an extra $100. Does anyone have any recommendations or purchased a similar product? If any Aussies out there have purchased a second hand from the wreckers or know of any good seller here in Aust., that would be great as I'm planning to import one from the US.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Please go with the cloth.
It looks like it belongs on the vehicle, the vinyl looks out of place and I think is subject to more problems.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I haven't done a top on a saab (yet) but I have other convetables with headliners. I also would be inclined to go with the canvas. I don't know if Robbins makes tops for the C900, but I would check them out first.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I put the Stayfast on my wife's 91 vert last summer. I was quite a job but turned out nicely. Stayfast top (I bought both pieces) went on fine and still looks new a year later.

I took about 50 digital pictures of the removal. They sure came in handy for the installation. It took me two days to complete.

There's some good instructions on this site for replacing your top. I used them and they helped. But i don't have the link handy now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when you say "bought both pieces", do you mean the piece that sits under the rear window?

Steve Corgan said:
I put the Stayfast on my wife's 91 vert last summer. I was quite a job but turned out nicely. Stayfast top (I bought both pieces) went on fine and still looks new a year later.

I took about 50 digital pictures of the removal. They sure came in handy for the installation. It took me two days to complete.

There's some good instructions on this site for replacing your top. I used them and they helped. But i don't have the link handy now.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The classic 900's top is in two pieces. Plus it has a separate headliner. Most places I've seen online offer each of the three components separately and with a discount for buying the fore/aft package. That's what I bought, the 2 piece top w/o headliner.

The front half of the top goes from the curved front rail of the top's frame back to what I think they call the tensioning bar, or tensioner, or something like that. This frame cross member is about 4-5 inches above and forward of the rear window, and forms the high point from which the roofline shoots more or less straight forward.

It's important to measure the location of this tensioner bar before taking the top off since unlike the other frame cross members, the tensioner moves fore and aft freely. Mearsure how far it is from the front of the top's framework, how far the tensionser is from the top of the window glass, and how far the bottom of the window glass is from some immovable reference point below. Several measurements from several different points (i.e. left, right, center) should be taken.

The aft edge of the front half of the top is stapled onto a dense rubber type material that's incorporated into the tensioner bar. Then the fore portion of the rear half of the top also gets stapled on top of the tensioning crossmember.

The rear half of the top consists of the rear window with its zipper and defroster element. The aft or bottom edge of the rear window half of the top gets stapled under the rear cowl where water gets directed into the gutter around the trunk. What I'm telling you will make sense when you see it. (I may have some of the terminology wrong though. ;oops: )

The most forward edge of the rear half of the top also gets stapled on the top of the tensioner cross member and that seam, so to speak, of the fore and aft pieces of the top gets an extruded aluminum strip screwed into it and on top of the 2-piece top's seam. A nifty "imitation welt" is then forced over the extrusion with a rubber mallot. At least that's how it is on my wife's 91 T-vert.

Hope this helps. Like I said before, there are some very good and thorough instructions on this forum. You just have to dig them out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.