SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I’ve seen on posts and in pictures that there is a valve to release the pressure to the pump so the convertible roof can be operated manually - ive seen photos that shows a flap that comes down in the trunk - mine does not have this and the area there is solid - can anyone advise where this manual release valve is on my car ? Thanks

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Right hand side in the trunk vertical bulkhead. The carpet lifts up to reveal it. There's is even a photo in the vert manual in the stickies.
The cutout in the carpet fits so well you sometimes can't see it

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No - nothing there ! Have pulled all the carpet up in that area - saw the stickies - not the same on my model - no valve there.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to be sure - I have checked like 20 times now and have pulled up all the carpet so all you an see is bare metal - nothing there

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read on another post where someone had the same issue and found the valve under the rear seat near the pump!!! - but I don’t have any valves there either !

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
I've seen them where they're supposed to be, tried one once.
I never fiddled with one again.
Near as I could tell, it was of no use at all unless you got caught in the rain at the moment of failure and also had 2 or 3 guys to help you push it by hand.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well what my hood is doing is I press the button to go down and I have to help push it a bit to get started and then about half way down it drops with a bang - same thing when I try and put it up except it starts on it’s own with a few creaks and bangs.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If you still can't find it, checkout near the pump under the rear seat. The valve pipework has to be connected to the pump to have any effect.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I wonder if it will have an effect on the problem that just started out of nowhere - when I hit the button the roof starts to come down as normal then about half way it just drops under its own weight - I checked the pump level and it’s full - perhaps the pistons are screwed / leaking. I’ll check for the valve again tomorrow

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
IME, this behavior is usually caused by air in the lines. They are not self-bleeding like they are on later convertibles. On virtually every c900 convertible I have owned, I've ended up having to spend a fair amount of time with the hydraulics - replacing pumps, rams, fluid, bleeding - and a fair amount of time with the top structure - cleaning, lubricating, etc. It's not fun work, but very rewarding when it (finally) works right. :)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I would also check the integrity of the roof frame mechanism and make sure that all the pivots bushes and hinges are intact. You can see these from inside the car when the roof is up.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
And IIRC there is a bracket or something that frequently breaks when neglected... although I seem to recall this failure results in a roof that jams, not one that collapses.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts