SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roof won't motor. I have hot wired the motor pump and that works OK, I have checked the wiring to the 2 relays, OK, I have cleaned the switch and tested it and in doing so discovered that I could motor the roof closed by bridging the red wire to the green wire for the switch illumination. If I bridge the red to either the brown or other green wires nothing happens. I have tried tracing the wires through the centre console (seat and centre console out - don't ask) and found nothing amiss. I have a feeling that the handbrake interlock has malfunctioned somehow but I don't know how this works - it doesn't appear to be connected to the handbrake warning switch 'though I could be wrong.

Has anyone any ideas what could be wrong?

I'm hoping Jim Mesthene or some other genius has the solution.

·
Registered
155 Posts
According the Bentley, that brown wire should be live when the key is in the 'run' position. That wire shorted to either the red or green (non-illumination wire) should have worked. Have a multimeter handy?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tardis24 said:
According the Bentley, that brown wire should be live when the key is in the 'run' position. That wire shorted to either the red or green (non-illumination wire) should have worked. Have a multimeter handy?
Yes I have - any suggestions?

I don't have a Bentley - does it have a wiring diagram for the 'vert roof? Any chance of you posting/copying the Bentley roof info? I'm wondering if there is a fuse other than the 25A one on the inside of the right hand wing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, a quick test would be to see if you get 12V between brown and what I am guessing is silver (marked SV?), which is GND. If not, you might need to check fuse (#12) in fusebox on the left side of the car, or the connection from the brown wire to the fusebox. It seems it's multi-functional, as it's marked "convertible top actuation" as well as "seatbelt warning buzzer."

I'll post the diagrams in a few minutes. Need to dig out the scanner :).

Disclaimer: Bentley says its intructions are written for the US market. Wiring may differ depending on markets, but I think the differences are noted.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have at it

Let me know if you can't see them and I will look into some hosting alternatives. Once in the viewing page, click "Download Photo" on the right margin to get a printable image.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tardis you are an absolute star. Thanks to you and your diagrams i've fixed it. This should give you all a laugh, the heated seats are interconnected - I don't like heated seats so I disconnected them, more fool me. Turns out I have to have a warm keester if I want a working soft top.

I can't thank you enough for the time and effort you must have put in here, if i'm ever in LA again i'll buy you a pint (beer that is not cow juice).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts