SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My convertible's power antenna needs the mast/cable replaced. It's a black one and am wondering what the best source for a replacement part would be. I see some on "the bay" that specify not for convertible, so I am assuming the 'verts are different from the closed cars. Is it a very difficult job replacing it? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My convertible's power antenna needs the mast/cable replaced. It's a black one and am wondering what the best source for a replacement part would be. I see some on "the bay" that specify not for convertible, so I am assuming the 'verts are different from the closed cars. Is it a very difficult job replacing it? Thanks.
The mast for the power antenna is the same for either the vert or the hard top. Only differences are the bracket and the curved/angled bits at the top.

Replacing the mast can be quite easy, or can have a couple snags:

Easy: Remove the top nut, turn the radio on and guide the entire mast and cable out of the assembly. Watch the orientation of the teeth on the cable.

Orient the new cable the same as the old, slide the cable back down the tube and turn the radio off. Guide the cable and antenna into place. Install the top nut and if the antenna did not fully retract, turn the radio back on and then back off to cycle the antenna.

Oh yea, I've bought a number of masts from Rock Auto, about $10 each in chrome or black. Never had a problem with any (other than a 1 time EMPTY box that Rock quickly made good on!)

Possible snags:

#1 Getting the new cable through the hole at the bottom of the tube and engaged into the retracting gear is not always a 1st try thing.

#2 There might be some cable broken off inside the antenna. Remove the carpeted trim and a single 8mm (think) nut and the round cover at the bottom of the antenna comes off. Remove the broke cable, reassemble and you're back to installing the new mast and cable.

#3 There's a collar that goes between the underside of that top nut and and bottom of the mast. That can get corroded into place and be difficult to remove. That collar is also the conductor between the mast and the cable to the radio. I've had to get energetic a time or two to the the old mast and that collar out.. Once out, clean the inside of the tube and install the new mast and cable.

Usually, it's pretty darn easy but none of the issues require a brain surgeon to correct.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great news and thank you very much for the pointers. I'll get a replacement and give it a go!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts