SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I wonder if anyone can help ?

I've had my 2 year old Convertible for just over a year. I'm now seeing a problem with the "hood" (on this side of the pond, that's the fabric top, not the "bonnet" !).

The front two sections of the top have become slack and when wet, folds appear in the material running from front to back. Sorry, not a very good description, but I guess that the summary is that the fabric has stretched.

Now this is not what I expect from a prestige convertible after just over two years. My last car (a Mazda MX5 / Miata with a Vinyl hood) was still taut after 14 years. OK, I know that it's a fabric hood and will behave differently to vinyl but ..........

The dealership say that there is no adjustment for this, so (after attempting a fix without success) have suggested that I contact Saab UK Customer Services.

I rang them today and am expecting to be contacted early next week.

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, how was it fixed ? Anyone in the UK had a sinilar experience, and if so, what was their dealer's / Saab UK's response ?

I'm just hoping that someone can give me some upfront info. so that I can enter the discussions with Customer Services with as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / comments / experience.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I can't specifically address the later models, but having replaced a top, I can say, wear points will appear in the fabric where it is creased from folding and at the support points. These are the spots that on the older models we'd re-enforce from the inside, don't think thats possible on the later models. Unfortunately if your a really frequent user, a lot of ups and downs...you accelerate the wear.

·
Registered
299 Posts
when the hood is damp or wet i experience pretty much the same.

when its dry (and warm) it will be taut again.
what will also help is to just lift (open) the hood slightly, only so much that the part with the rear window folds, then put back.
this will tighten the hood again.

try if this works for you as well!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JonV. I know what you mean, but the creases are at 90 degrees to where the fabric folds when opening the roof. I thought that my description was rubbish ! You may well be right about the frequent opening and closing. I do have the top down as often as possible, even in our "interesting" weather.

Bauklo : Now that's an idea. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

I'm still a bit disappointed on a quality car. I wonder if Saab Customer services will think the same ?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Peter, notice you are just down the road from me, and you are a brave soul getting your roof down as much as possible! I know there's a few NE England people with 'verts on here, but no-one has had these issues as far as I know.

·
Registered
885 Posts
maybe you should follow what the manual says and not open the top whilest it is wet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy C: Yes, it is a bit "brass monkey" up here, but with heater on full and several layers of clothing (and of course, a silly hat) , it's not so bad ! I do the weekly commute to London, and try to have the roof down for at least part of the journey, as long as it's not raining too much. At my age (just qualified for winter fuel allowance !) I should know better.

Melovesha: No, I haven't opened the roof when the fabric has been wet. I wonder if that is what Saab UK will say is the problem ?

Anyway, thanks to all for responses. Should hear from Saab UK this week. I'll post again, when I have anything of interest on this.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Peter P said:
Melovesha: No, I haven't opened the roof when the fabric has been wet. I wonder if that is what Saab UK will say is the problem ?

Anyway, thanks to all for responses. Should hear from Saab UK this week. I'll post again, when I have anything of interest on this.
My sincerest apologies for the asumptive tone.

please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Melovesha:

No problem. No offence was taken, and thanks for your interest. :) It is difficult to get the tone right with posts ! I know, I have that problem.

I'll post again if / when anything of interest happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts