SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order new ball joints. Are the control arm and ball joint one peice?? Id like to just be able to order the ball joint if possible.

Know any websites where i can find it cheap?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
They are one piece. If you want to find them cheap, I would try used ones, from car-part.com or from goldwingsaab, or a local scrap yard. New, from eEuroparts.com, or saabsite.com.

On a '99, seems a bit early for those to go bad. What happened to them, and how many miles on the car?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
FYI, I had to replace a cracked rubber boot on one balljoint when I did my 100k maintenance (around $25 for the part plus $50 labor). Some grease had to be put on the ball joint at the same time.

I think the balljoints rarely "creak". I would post a question about that before I'd get new arms... other things in the front suspension CAN creak tho...

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
The creaking from the front suspension has been driving NG900 and 9-3 owners nuts for a while. Nobody has yet come up with a definitive answer. I overheard a conversation today, in my local garage, that mentioned the anti-roll bar rubbers as being a possible cause. I'm going to spray some silicon on mine tomorrow to see what happens.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There is a standard proven method of checking the ball joint wear - that is to pry upward with a large lever and see if there is any free-play...I have never heard of a ball-joint "creaking"...

Also, I have read that these joints can be , er, "reloaded"... and the boot(bellows) is, a la Mercedes, replaceable...
I replaced the entire control arm assembly, both sides, on the '96(145K) this spring..First time ever with a Saab...

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
earthworm said:
There is a standard proven method of checking the ball joint wear - that is to pry upward with a large lever and see if there is any free-play...I have never heard of a ball-joint "creaking"...

Also, I have read that these joints can be , er, "reloaded"... and the boot(bellows) is, a la Mercedes, replaceable...
I replaced the entire control arm assembly, both sides, on the '96(145K) this spring..First time ever with a Saab...

Did you go with the genuine saab arms or the scantech arms? The scantech were almost $100 cheaper so I went with them when I changed mine.. I wonder if there is any major difference between the two.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The Saab name usually adds $$$$ to the price, BUT, not always.

I, too, used the less expensive arms from eEuroParts, $140 per...I still have the right side one(142K miles) - still appears to be serviceable..
The left side is butchered, the joint is shot..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts