SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My engine is out and I’ve never done the control arm bushings in the 10+ years of owning this car so I figure I might as well replace them now that the engine is out.
The problem is I bought powerflex poly bushings (they were expensive) without reading the forums first.

I test fitted the upper poly bushings in their mounts and on the control arm and it doesn’t fit sung. The mount is able to spin freely on the control arm. The nut holding the mount onto the control arm isn’t on but still, should it move this freely?

Should I cut my loses and return the poly bushings and get regular rubber bushings?

How are the proparts bushings? Pretty cheap on Eeuro.

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Power flex is usually good stuff. Did you reach out to them regarding fitment? I’d run it past them before giving up.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Agreed... IME it's unlikely for a PF bushing to not fit correctly, which makes me think they may know something.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Power flex is usually good stuff. Did you reach out to them regarding fitment? I’d run it past them before giving up.
i have not, but I will on Monday once their offices open. Thats what I thought, but i was reading some info on poly bushings on this forum and a lot of guys were talking about how they're meant for "track car" performance. I'm really just going for "like new" feel with my car. Comfortable and not bumpy, which is why I got freaked out. But thanks for your input.

Whats your experience with these bushings if you've used them before?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed... IME it's unlikely for a PF bushing to not fit correctly, which makes me think they may know something.
I'll definitely be calling them on Monday. It's strange too cause I ordered the spring mount bushing as well and when I test fitted that one, it was almost a press on fit and fit snug. So, it made me think that there was something wrong with the control arm bushing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible they just get squished into place?
that’s what I was thinking as well. Haven’t tried it out yet, not installing them as the control arms are being painted, but even then it seems like too much play. Also, was reading some forums saying how these bushings make you feel all the vibrations of the road...which is not what I’m going for.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Poly bushes are really good in some applications, and not good in others. FE, I have powerflex poly bushes in my 9k for the lower gearbox mount and the upper torque arm that support the motor.

Given that C900 control arms only move basically around a defined single axis I would presume using poly for them is going to be ok.

I don't know enough about C900's suspension geometry to comment on whether poly in other places (specifically the rear suspension with all the multi-axial flexing that goes on) is good or not. Lot of people defer to standard rubber/steel sandwich bushes instead of poly with seperate steel sleeves.

The other area where poly is often going to be used is top shock mounts - against it's basically a single-axis application - but bottom shock mounts are a different story as they require flexibility in multiple axes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

My engine is out and I’ve never done the control arm bushings in the 10+ years of owning this car so I figure I might as well replace them now that the engine is out.
The problem is I bought powerflex poly bushings (they were expensive) without reading the forums first.

I test fitted the upper poly bushings in their mounts and on the control arm and it doesn’t fit sung. The mount is able to spin freely on the control arm. The nut holding the mount onto the control arm isn’t on but still, should it move this freely?

Should I cut my loses and return the poly bushings and get regular rubber bushings?

How are the proparts bushings? Pretty cheap on Eeuro.
I replaced both the whole control arms. Easier and cheap and no hassle with replacing the bearings.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
If replacing the control arms remember not to lose the shim stacks (if present) under each control arm mounting point to the car body. I have not tackled control arm bush replacement before so not sure how easy or difficult it is to do in-car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts