SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share my recent Saab/Continental experience with all of you...

Installed two Conti-Extreme-Contact, V-rated, OEM sized 215/55/16, all-season performance tires on front wheels. Snowed the day after I got them on excellent in the snow. These replaced the Michelin MXV4 tires (have about 5k miles to go before replacing the rear rubbers). My wife has noticed the difference and she hardly knows a thing about cars. I had her drive the car in a parking lot with lots of snow and she had no problems maneuvering the car.

Just a few notes - I have the same tires on my Audi A4 quattro, no problems in snow (granted it is AWD), 30k miles going with no excessive wear issues and they haven't been rotated yet (too lazy). Road noise is not bad at all. And for those using Yokohama AVIDs who live in snow-prone areas, beware!

Overall, great tires for the $$. Today in NW Ct it is sleeting and ice raining and will put these tires to the test again.

Hope this was helpful to those of you in the market for tires.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Two cautionary notes:

1. You should have equal rubber on all four corners for maximum safety. But at least both tires on each axle match each other.
  2. The best tires should always be on the REAR of a front wheel drive car! I know this seems bass-ackwards, but there is a very sound reason for this. It prevents over-steer (the poorer back tires loose traction in a turn and the rear end of the car slides sideways putting the car into a spin) which is far more dangerous to most drivers than under-steer (the poorer fronts loose traction in a turn and the car plows straight ahead).
I am gald the tires are working great for you. But please, for your family's safety, either buy two more tires or reconfigure your current tires for maximum safety.

·
Registered
809 Posts
May be it's better that you guys over the pond start using two sets of tyres-summer and winter.This all season thing isn't good enough compare with
season proper ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts