SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a glue that will fasten paper to paper, but it needs to be a contact type cement where you can press it down and it sticks - done. There's no good way to clamp these surfaces... I need to press it into place to smooth the irregularities and have it bond as I do. I need a close to instant bond. So, I can't use something like Elmer's cement (although that would work otherwise).

If these were thicker materials I'd use the old school petroleum based 3m contact cement, but this glue needs to be very thin... more like water than rubber.

Suggestions? I don't need much - just doing a 3" square.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yep. Use a spray glue (you can use a thin spray coat, no need to spray it on thick) BUT... Spray it on BOTH surfaces, let it tack dry, then burnish them together if you want it permanent. Note that you won't be able to re-position, if you need to do that, spray a slightly thicker coat on one surface only and don't leave it so long to tack dry.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will probably use that. The spray aspect is a little troublesome for this... brush on would be better, but I can probably figure out some sort of masking if there are no thin brush on solutions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Pretty well most, if not all brush on glues will wet the paper which will then go 'crinkly' and be hard to adhere flat, and probably not dry flat because of shrinkage.
There are rubber solution type glues (remember 'Cow Gum"?) that you apply to both surfaces using a spatular or credit card.
If you do use spray glue, wear your coronovirus mask Bob!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Maybe thin out paint on glue to almost water and use a small sponge roller to spread it. The roller I have in mind is for trim, about 3" wide sold at most home centers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts