SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok I will take a look tomorrow. Can i ask one more thing - when in normal driving the overrun of the engine in between gear changes is very harsh and sounds like a rattling timing chain but is that the sound of the ticking lifters ? The timing chain is new and you can’t anything from there when I rev the engine with my head in the engine bay but inside the car when driving it sounds awful - it’s not the gearbox and gear changes are good this is engine sound but I guess it is the high speed spins of the knocking lifters ? I even a vibration through the pedals through gear changes. Before the head gasket change there was nothing like this going on and I’m pretty peed off that I spend 800 dollars to have the car back worse than I left it

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Overall what you're describing sounds like a timing chain problem - guides or the pad on the valve cover or cam sprocket engagement or something. I suspect the noise you're hearing generally isn't lifters but the chain rattling, and it it worse on overrun when there isn't engine speed tensioning it. Maybe a damaged or shot tensioner?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’ve just had a new chain and tensioner put in?? Before I had the head gasket and timing chain done I had none of these sounds or issues - the car was running great just had some oil leaking from the head

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Yes, so it's possible the new chain was incorrectly installed, the head was incorrectly installed, or the guides or the pad or the tensioner was damaged along the way.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi again - still awaiting to get the car back to the mechanic - although on the phone he’s convinced the timing isn’t that noise I can here from inside the car between gear changes. But I’m starting to worry now - you guys saw the vids with the knocking sound ? Could it be a failed con rod bearing knock ?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Sounds top-end to me, and the top end is where the recent work was. It could be something else - an exhaust leak at the manifold or something not secured and rattling around. But it sure sounds like valve train or timing chain.

Bottom end failures on B2x2 motors are basically unheard of.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Reassuring - will find out this week when it goes back to the mechanic - presently have 16 new valve lifters soaking in oil ....

21 - 27 of 27 Posts