SaabCentral Forums banner

Considering the purchase

333 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  BobSaabit
Hey there! I'm new around.

I have a situation in which I have been offered a Saab 9-3 2.2 TiD at a very reasonable price, but my current car despite being an absolute horse carriage has proven to be very reliable and cheap to run.

I am struggling to find answers on the internet about this engine (probably because it's the first time that I have ever gotten into doing some car research).

So far I have test driven it and it feels quite good, the car feels surprisingly responsive and ignoring the early 2000s diesel engine vibrations, I think the car is in a pristine state.

The only two issues are: the radio is not working, I'll try to find a new unit and get a decent sound system if this car is going to be with me for a while, and the rear decklid spoiler is cracked, so those will have to be replaced.

Any issues/faults that I should look for?

edit: original post said 900 NG, it is a 9-3. Apologies
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
15,481 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Check RUST!
You can not replace audio system easily, it is part of security system and car will not work without it.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome.
Check RUST!
You can not replace audio system easily, it is part of security system and car will not work without it.
The radio unit is hard to change, then? Crap. Rust seems alright; there is a slight abrasion on the side, which has given way to slight desperfection on the rear wheel arch.

· Registered
11,891 Posts
What model year is the car? An NG900 (up to 1997/1998 or so, depending on market) can use aftermarket radios. There would be some work if it also has a separate amp for the doors.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
It's an OLD car Rust is a big concern. Not ... the obvious surface variety.
But the hidden Structural rust. Also Diesels can often live long but when they do time out.. Also too expensive to passably repair.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's an OLD car Rust is a big concern. Not ... the obvious surface variety.
But the hidden Structural rust. Also Diesels can often live long but when they do time out.. Also too expensive to passably repair.
Rust is not a big concern in a dry climate as Spain's central climate. I have checked outer rust, there is only that I can see, and the rest seems alright. I will, however, check for structural rust to be sure. Cheers for the heads up!

I am going to negotiate a two-day test drive to see if it does work well and plug the OBD scanner to see if anything pops up.

· Registered
20,544 Posts
Just FYI - there's a lot less internet support for the diesel vs. the petrol engine. There is a UK Saab group that might have more info on that specific aspect. We're well versed in every other system on the car. But there are a couple guys here who know the diesel.

How many miles on it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.