SaabCentral Forums banner

Considering purchasing a Saab 9-3, anything I should know?

2154 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  jason60050
Hey all! I am looking to trade my coupe for a sedan and I found a great deal on a 2009 Saab 9-3 2.0T, 50k miles, clean record, one owner. In talking to a car dealer friend of mine, he said stay away from Saab because they have reliability problems. The car looks great and I was going to take it for a drive to see what I thought. Is there anything I should know about a car like this before I commit to buy? Have others had problems at certain mileage or with certain parts? I want to join the Saab ranks but I also want to know what I may be getting myself into:). Thanks!!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,793 Posts
General ROT is that by 2006/7 they really ironed out the bugs and you should be Ok reliability wise. The JD power reliability index for three years of ownership came out a few months ago and the 2007 9-3 was above average reliability.

Just watch the electrics and front suspension.

· Registered
605 Posts
General ROT is that by 2006/7 they really ironed out the bugs and you should be Ok reliability wise. The JD power reliability index for three years of ownership came out a few months ago and the 2007 9-3 was above average reliability.

Just watch the electrics and front suspension.
This^^

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. Saab is well-known for bullet proof engines.

· Registered
2,247 Posts
The update model in 08 had like over 1,000 changes. Even my wife comments on the difference between our 09 SS and our previous 06 SC. Have had three Saab 9-3s in total and all have been reliable. Basically a GM product. There are some parts that still seem less reliable than Japanese makes but Saab is no worse than other Euros in this regard. Had a CIM module go on my 06 SC. Still driveable but electronic stuff like that does not go wrong on Jap cars in such a short time. Second hand the Saab 9-3 represents outstanding value. An ECU tune will put a real smile on your face. Try to get one with as many options std as possible.

· Registered
12,513 Posts
Engines are the last thing to worry about on an SS... read some old threads and you'll see what the issues were, a few transmission issues, CIM Failure,Ignition failure, these cars are also known to go through batteries quicker than most. Make sur you get at least three keys and safe deposit one.... they are getting very hard to get.

· Registered
157 Posts
I came from a 2009 Lexus GS350awd and I couldn't be happier. When I first got the saab it had a lot of little rattles and squeaks but I was able to fix them all with double sided tape and foam. Also the xwd system is incredible in the snow! Great value if u can find a good price otherwise I would stay away because the resale value is awful unless of course you decide to keep it forever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.