SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I may be moving to Central Oregon soon and am interested in a 9-3. The closest dealers are in Portland, 3 hours away. The closest certified service shop is 2 hrs away.

Is that feasible? Should I look for something that can be serviced locally?

Thanks.

·
Banned
209 Posts
We'll from my standpoint i live about 78 miles away from my service point. I can not find any local shop(car dealer or shade tree mechanic) to work on this car. People flat out refuse to even look at something like my parking brake button sticking. Luckily with the two little things that went wrong i was able to safely and with out worry drive it to the mechanic. But as of yesterday we had to get AAA to tow it. Luckily we are gold card members and get 100 miles of free towing. If not i would hate to imagine how much it would be to get a car towed a hour away let alone 3 hours. I love my car, but you might want to call around to some local wreckers to see how much it would cost cash to have it towed back. Cuz i even think the different levels of AAA have mile limits on them as well.

Base your descision on how its going to be to take off work and drive it in for service or how much it will cost when something breaks that you cant drive in for service.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would say, no. But that's just me, I'm not willing to drive 2-3 hours to get my car worked on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. There is a local mechanic (went to his shop to check it out... saw an older 900, GM900 and a Sonnett in the garage:D ). He is Saab trained and knows tech II. But he can't do warranty work for free.

He has worked on the SS.

Does this make things better? Really prefer a Saab, although Volvo, BMW, MB and Audi all have dealers here.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wow,

That's a tough situation. Have you talked to Saab USA to see if they will reimburse work for any local garages? I would tell them about the 2-3 hour drive to the closest dealer.

If you weren't able I would say bag it. That just seems like too much of a risk for me. I love my car, and haven't had any mojor problems, but I will still shy away from that.

·
Banned
975 Posts
Buy a used saab thats out of warranty and with the money you save pay the mechanic for the maintenance you need?? How many miles a year do you drive?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
soggy said:
Buy a used saab thats out of warranty and with the money you save pay the mechanic for the maintenance you need?? How many miles a year do you drive?
That might make sense.

I wouldn't take the risk on a new one either. Could be a real big hassle dealing with a warranty claim - or make you less inclined to have minor warranty items looked at. I've taken my car in for real minor stuff because it's on my way to work and I always get a loaner. If it wasn't that convenient, I don't know...

·
Banned
209 Posts
ya..that idea sucks, considering AVERAGE cost for stuff breaking on my car has been over 500 dollars each time. Its alot smarter to have a warrenty

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm totally sympathetic, but I'm coming at it from a different angle. I'm looking to relocate from NYC to Central Nebraska. The closest dealer is ~2 hours away! Even worse, the closest JAPANESE car dealers are over an hour away! Tons of american dealers around, tons of pickups around too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I've e-mailed SAAB to see what they say. They really should have a more even dealership network. At this rate, it might be an A3 for me, although, as stated earlier, the 9-3 really has me.:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts