SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Considering an lpt - advice?

Hi all,
I've been lurking here for a while now, researching the c900, and trying to find a decent one to buy. Had an N/A 16v while in the USA, and got hooked :)
I was gonna get a fpt, but insurance would be too much. I'll be content to just uprate an lpt a bit over time.
I've found a 1989 lpt 3 dr, it has 156k on it which doesn't seem too bad. Unfortunately has no service history, but price is decent, so I don't mind if I have to spend a grand or 2 on it. It spent most of its life in england, and the english tend to take good care of their cars. This might seem stupid, but 900's are very thin on the ground in Ireland, I've been looking for months now, and its time to bite the bullet. Going to look at it this evening possibly.

These questions may seem stupid, but I can't find much on lpt's, as the minimum word length on the forum search is 4 characters.

1) As far as I can see, they are all 16 valve, 150 hp, is this true?
2) It seems to have the mitsubishi te05 turbo, true?
3) Has it got lucas fuel injection ( this seems to be better than bosch )?

Also, is 1989 a good model year in general? Is there anything that tends to go wrong with c900's from that year? I've read the buyers guides, and have an idea of what to look out for in general.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
4,637 Posts
Two things come to mind here.

1. I asked my insurer about upgrading my LPT to FPT. They said they wouldn't quote for it. They would happily quote for an original FPT though. Irish insurers seem less inclined to accept modifications...

2. '89 turbos do have an issue with the engine control unit {ECU} failing more readily than other years. I don't know if this affects the LPTs as well but it's possible.

Who have you talked to looking for cars? Try Ben Curran in Newcastle. He breaks Saabs and sells them too. He may point you at something nice.

There's one of our members on here with a Black shiny 900 Carlsson which may be for sale. Maybe you'd like that...

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ireland is very small :)
I've been talking to Ben. For a while it looked like he might be getting a nice black fpt aero in, but it turned out it had been crashed. He has promised to let me know if anything else comes in.
Also, that black carlsson is not for sale anymore, but the owner has been very helpful to me.
Insurance - a bit complicated. As far as I know, a lot of lpts are neither taxed nor insured as turbos. They are not, apparently considered turbo cars. I haven't managed to get a quote for the fpt yet, they are just very poor at getting back to me. If I spot a nice fpt down the line, I can just sell on the lpt and go for it. Or, if I do something like stick an intercooler on the lpt, I won't particularly feel like telling them. They might decide to throw on another 800 euro.
Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I never knew there were LPT's in 1989 - my understanding was that 1990 was the first model year, but it may be a very early one. They are good cars, and the engine is usually in better condition than an FPT because they won't have been driven so hard, but they are not 'performance' - more like a capable cruiser that can put on a reasonable turn of speed if it has to, but runs out of steam after about 4000 rpm. Specs for the 900 S Aero Convertible, which is an LPT, can be seen here.

In the UK at least, most insurers seem utterly incapable of distinguishing between an LPT and an FPT. They say "has it got a turbo?" and that's that - the missing 30 BHP doesn't come into it; you pay the full load. One thing - LPT's are very easy to modify up to FPT power and beyond, but if you do not declare everything to your insurance company you therefore invalidate that insurance. You might as well not pay them at all for all the good it will do you, because they certainly won't be coughing up if you have a stonking great intercooler and bleed valve under the bonnet which you haven't declared. All is not lost however. There are companies around who are more sympathetic, and I actually now pay less with all mods declared than I did with a big household name when it was still stock.

Welcome to Saab Central :cool:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the guy who is selling the car seems to know very little about saabs. He is very definite about it having a light pressure turbo though, so I'll just have to head down and have a look at it myself.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eventually worked out that its an 8v FPT - no good to me. Anyway, I've come across another lpt, which is actually an lpt this time :) Its 92, 137k, and its an aero. The one problem is that its bright red, which I don't like. But, I think if it checks out mechanically, I'll buy it and worry about getting a respray at a later stage.
The one mechanical problem that I am aware of is that it is difficult to put into 5th gear. I had this problem on a c900 before, not a biggy, you just have to get the knack for it. Was wondering though, is it likely to be just the gearshift linkage, or worn syncro on 5th? I hadn't heard much about syncro on 5th wearing out, usually its the lower gears.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You trying to flog my 900 Mr D aly???:nono;

cdaly said:
Two things come to mind here.

1. I asked my insurer about upgrading my LPT to FPT. They said they wouldn't quote for it. They would happily quote for an original FPT though. Irish insurers seem less inclined to accept modifications...

2. '89 turbos do have an issue with the engine control unit {ECU} failing more readily than other years. I don't know if this affects the LPTs as well but it's possible.

Who have you talked to looking for cars? Try Ben Curran in Newcastle. He breaks Saabs and sells them too. He may point you at something nice.

There's one of our members on here with a Black shiny 900 Carlsson which may be for sale. Maybe you'd like that...

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
jezz

who is the insurer that you speak of, as i am gonna have to declare my fpt mods now that they are all working properly?
when i initially got quoted for the lpt the girl on the fone actually asked if it was a low or full turbo..... !!!!

sincethen ive changed to an online insurer and saved over £200 a year, but I dunno if they will appreciate or understand the apc and fpt mods

ta mate
g

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
philb said:
Eventually worked out that its an 8v FPT - no good to me. Anyway, I've come across another lpt, which is actually an lpt this time :) Its 92, 137k, and its an aero. The one problem is that its bright red, which I don't like. But, I think if it checks out mechanically, I'll buy it and worry about getting a respray at a later stage.
The one mechanical problem that I am aware of is that it is difficult to put into 5th gear. I had this problem on a c900 before, not a biggy, you just have to get the knack for it. Was wondering though, is it likely to be just the gearshift linkage, or worn syncro on 5th? I hadn't heard much about syncro on 5th wearing out, usually its the lower gears.
Nothing wrong with a T8! The fifth gear problem is an external adustment on the shift linkage, so that's not so bad as say a whine in fifth which would be a tranny rebuild.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the advice about the gearbox, I had a feeling that was the case.
Regarding the 8v, I want a c900 that is as new and as advanced as possible. An 8v fpt will cost me just as much on insurance as a T16S, but doesn't quite have the same horsepower. LPT has the same horsepower, with the potential for more. I had a 16v before, and I don't really feel like taking a step backwards.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I know;) Of course you can mod a T8 up to 200hp real quick and scary. But you're right, its going to cost you anyway, you can gain 10-12 years of modernity and still pay the same insurance. Makes sense to get the newest you can. I'm just all high on my new T8 (see other thread :cheesy: )

Good luck with your search!

·
4,637 Posts
Carlsson900 said:
You trying to flog my 900 Mr Daly???:nono;
Well, you did mention it some time back...

BTW, was that you I saw on the Malahide Road one evening in a shiny black Carly about two weeks ago. I waved from a grubby grey 'vert...

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
philb said:
The one mechanical problem that I am aware of is that it is difficult to put into 5th gear.
This is normally the metal tab on the end of the gear lever. Try a search on the words "latch stud" for more details.

drg23 said:
who is the insurer that you speak of?
Company called Footman James. Bear in mind you may have to ring them to get a quote for a modified car though. There's quite a few other mod-friendly insurance companies around as well that have been covered on here in the past. Mine's now £360 a year, unlimited mileage, fully comp, but i'm 32, an advanced driver and live in the lowest risk postcode in the UK. I expect I could get it lower than that as well.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
cdaly said:
'89 turbos do have an issue with the engine control unit {ECU} failing more readily than other years. I don't know if this affects the LPTs as well but it's possible.
The bad year for ECUs affects only Bosch units, and it might be LH2.4 which we in the UK didn't get anyway. As all LPTs have Lucas ECUs, they're not affected by the MY89 failures.

All academic now anyway!

Nothing wrong with the 8v cars... the most satisfying and one of the fastest C900s I've driven was a modified T8. Took it for a test drive at one of the Kodak meets and didn't want to stop! :)

To do a colour-change respray properly costs mega money. If I were you I'd wait and buy a 900 in a colour that I liked and forget the respray. Much less expense and hassle.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
would same color respray cost a fortune as well? ive always wanted an oil-slick black 900 with an airflow kit, but i might have to install the kit myself and get the car repainted. hopefully several coats as i have seen what rocks did to my friends 9-5 :eek:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
philb said:
Cheers for the advice about the gearbox, I had a feeling that was the case.
Regarding the 8v, I want a c900 that is as new and as advanced as possible. An 8v fpt will cost me just as much on insurance as a T16S, but doesn't quite have the same horsepower. LPT has the same horsepower, with the potential for more. I had a 16v before, and I don't really feel like taking a step backwards.
Where it matters -mid range- the T8 is as quick (or quicker in one autocar test) as the t16 - just not as much top-end or 0-60.

The later intercooled 8v's are 155bhp standard

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
saabchilten said:
would same color respray cost a fortune as well? ive always wanted an oil-slick black 900 with an airflow kit, but i might have to install the kit myself and get the car repainted. hopefully several coats as i have seen what rocks did to my friends 9-5 :eek:
It would cost exactly the same to the best of my knowledge. A cheap paint job just makes teh whole car look cheap so it's worth getting it done properly. Having said that, my car's paint was in a bad way after 3 years in a scrapyard, and welding sparks had left it scarred. As part of the deal on it when I bought it I got a full respray, which has left a small area of bobbling on one wing and a light patch on the bonnet but still looks a million times better than it did.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
That is what I believe is known as A Good Point. :)

Originally I wanted a black full pressure turbo with a whaletail. I ended up with a blue light pressure turbo without a whaletail. I wouldn't change it now.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Matthew said:
The bad year for ECUs affects only Bosch units, and it might be LH2.4 which we in the UK didn't get anyway. As all LPTs have Lucas ECUs, they're not affected by the MY89 failures.

All academic now anyway!

Nothing wrong with the 8v cars... the most satisfying and one of the fastest C900s I've driven was a modified T8. Took it for a test drive at one of the Kodak meets and didn't want to stop! :)

To do a colour-change respray properly costs mega money. If I were you I'd wait and buy a 900 in a colour that I liked and forget the respray. Much less expense and hassle.
Yeah, I don't mean to diss the T8, its just doesn't make sense for me from an insurance point of view.
I appreciate what you are saying about the colour. Currently, I'm in negotiations with the seller. If I buy the red lpt aero, he's willing to sell me a blue lpt aero as well. Then I'll sell the red one on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts