SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have narrowed my headunit search down somewhat. I plan on using a pac swi-jack to hard wire the head unit to my steering wheel controls. According to all the literature I have found on this pac swi-jack, it says to refer to the owners manual for the individual Blaupunkt head unit for capatibility. I downloaded several manuals of their website and none of them made any mention to it. I also called Blaupunkt USA and they didn't have any idea. I also asked if they could order me the factory Blaupunkt to Saab harness that you European guys have, and they said they wouldn't do that either. Has anybody done the above? and with what model?

The 2007 Clarion models are all able to use the pac swi-jack, but they are ugly. I am just having a hard time finding a nice reciever that I can use my steering wheel controls, and that matches a wood dash. You European guys are so lucky; Clarion, Blaupunkt, and several other companies make adapters to the Saab steering wheel controls. No such luck here, all of them are only available in Europe.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
Will someone export to you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
Believe it or not but Saab is still a bit of a rare car to see in North America when compared to other European models like Volvo, BMW, Volks. Just stand at the corner of a busy intersection in your city and count how many Saab's you see drive by in 10 minutes :confused: Its not easy to customize a Saab in certain parts of this contentient, especially in the rural parts.

If you're purchasing an aftermaket headunit solely on the compatibality and continued use of your steering wheel controls, you're selling yourself short of many and much better products out there, I mean how difficult is it to move your right hand 10" to the centre dash panel from the steering wheel to control the radio?

If the manufacture won't even special order one of their own products from a different division for you then what does that tell you? And if you we're able to get one, you'd have no support if you needed help with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,383 Posts
I don't believe that Blaupunkt makes a Saab-specific wiring harness. The standard power and speaker plugs are a direct fit in the back of all Blaupunkt radios. Their remote signals go through a small ISO-DIN plug on the back. Blaupunkts have three ISO-DIN jacks: one for line-out, one for the changer/auxiliary input, and a third for the remote. Some have a fourth for other more esoteric functions. Midwest Electronics sells tons of different plugs and cables for Blaupunkts, since that's all they do. They have several that plug into the remote jack if all you need to do is to attach wires to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeremy R. said:
I don't believe that Blaupunkt makes a Saab-specific wiring harness. The standard power and speaker plugs are a direct fit in the back of all Blaupunkt radios. Their remote signals go through a small ISO-DIN plug on the back. Blaupunkts have three ISO-DIN jacks: one for line-out, one for the changer/auxiliary input, and a third for the remote. Some have a fourth for other more esoteric functions. Midwest Electronics sells tons of different plugs and cables for Blaupunkts, since that's all they do. They have several that plug into the remote jack if all you need to do is to attach wires to it.
Thats who I talked to on the phone today, and they told me that they wouldn't ship me the cable I need (Europe only). Although I suppose I can just fab something up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
Jeremy R. said:
I don't believe that Blaupunkt makes a Saab-specific wiring harness. The standard power and speaker plugs are a direct fit in the back of all Blaupunkt radios. Their remote signals go through a small ISO-DIN plug on the back. Blaupunkts have three ISO-DIN jacks: one for line-out, one for the changer/auxiliary input, and a third for the remote. Some have a fourth for other more esoteric functions.
Can I chip in with a UK supplier? They're good and approachable and sell...

steering wheel control adaptor.

Diosnoche said:
you're selling yourself short of many and much better products out there, I mean how difficult is it to move your right hand 10" to the centre dash panel from the steering wheel to control the radio?
Quality of the units is subjective, I've junked a couple of other units for Blaupunkt, because, thay had everything I needed out of the box, with the right sound at the right price.

As for moving the hand; until a few weeks ago I would have heartily agreed, but recently i picked up a 9-5 with this feature and I really like it; it needs phone pick up added on the front and gear shift behind added to finish the job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ragtopcav said:
Can I chip in with a UK supplier? They're good and approachable and sell...

steering wheel control adaptor.
Thanks! thats what I need. Pricey, but looks clean.

Now I just need to decide between This and This. I'm leaning towards the Hamburg MP57, because its not that nasty silver color, but it doesn't appear to have adjustable colors to match the dash.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
Silver HU does stand out [having done it myself link ].

The price for the device is bad due to the exchange rate, dollar is weak. Would it be better looking into a continental European supplier in the Euro zone? If language is a problem there could be an Irish supplier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,383 Posts
stamonkey said:
Alright I just ordered the Blaupunkt St. Louis, I will post many pics as soon as it comes in!
You had to order that one, didn't you? :cheesy: I have the Blaupunkt Seattle and live in Seattle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeremy R. said:
You had to order that one, didn't you? :cheesy: I have the Blaupunkt Seattle and live in Seattle.
Being that I live in St. Louis had absolutely no bearing on my head unit choice...:D Ok well, maybe just a little.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top