SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after poking around for a while looking for a 5 spd wagon my wife is now thinking that it doesn't have to be a manual. On my searches I came across a few Arc wagons that look pretty nice, again for reasonable dollars. But I know nothing about the 3.0t. Other than they require timing belt replacement at regular intervals and I think I read that they are not prone to sludge.

Are they strong motors? Is the super-senso-tripomatic-transmission a good thing? Anything to watch out for?

Let me know, thanks,

RoCo

·
Registered
398 Posts
The automatic transmission on the 9-5 hasn't been a big source of problems, but this doesn't mean they don't happen. Certainly it is average or above average in reliability. If you want transmission horror stories, go look at a Honda Accord or Siena forum. With an auto you don't have to replace the clutch at 100,000 mi.

Re 3.0 engine: This thing is also used in the Saturn L-Series and the Cadillac Catera. The major problem is with failure of the seal on the internal oil-water heat exchanger used to cool the engine oil. If sudden or not detected coolant contaminates the oil and ....:cry: Oh, and if the timing belt fails then there will be a bunch of bent valves. SAAB recommends changing the belt much sooner than Saturn or Cadillac, so this doesn't seem to be as big a problem. Most SAAB enthusiasts go with the 4 because: It is a real SAAB engine; good power to weight; lots of aftermarket GoFast goodies; simpler and easier to work on. It is also fun and entertaining to drop the sump looking for sludge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HTML:
It is also fun and entertaining to drop the sump looking for sludge.
You have a twisted sense of fun :D

So, excluding mods and tb from the equation, just because I'm not likely to make any and i'd consider tb a maintainace thing, is it fair to say performance and potential problems with both engines are equal?

Is the tb on the 3.0L a particulary though one to do? or just average stuff.

Also is the turbo from the arc 3.0 and 2.3 the same unit?

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Not all Arcs are 3.0.... 2004 and newer get a detuned 220hp Aero I4.

The 3.0 turbo is similar internally to the GT17 in the Linear (LPT) but it is an integral part of the front exhaust manifold. They are both short-lived compared to the Aero's TD04.

I've done Nissan SOHC 3.0 V6 belts. This one looks way tougher. Saab pays for the first one at 60k miles but you still need to pay the extra parts for the tensioner and pulleys.

My local Saab tech used to say that the V6 had fewer niggly issues than the 4. Performance is not equal to the Aero 4 but is superior to the LPT 4. It gets slightly lower gas mileage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts