SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Saab 900 SPG, 2002 Saab 9-3 SE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a relatively new owner of an '85 SPG and am now working on repairing some of the classic biodegradable wiring in it. The good news is that the fuel injection harness in the engine compartment was replaced by the previous owner (and the rest in the engine compartment looks mostly ok). The rear harness also looks healthy where I've been able to check. Both harnesses going into the doors are however pretty much disintegrated, to the point that at least one wire snapped. The symptom of this was that power mirrors would only move in the downward direction.

So I'm going to rebuild them, have bought some SXL wiring of what I think is of the correct gauges based on measuring the strands in the old wires. My question is if anyone knows if the exact type of connectors (male and female that are then snapped into the plastic connector shells) are available to buy anywhere and if so what they are called? I have some that are similar but not exactly the same. The original wiring insulation looks ok close to the connectors, so I could perhaps leave a bit of wire at each end and keep the original connectors. Would be more satisfying if it was all replaced though!

So these types of connectors - guess the female connector is pretty standard inside the rubber jacket but the male one is perhaps a bit more particular as it has to fit into the connector housing:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Unless you're really trying to keep it original in every detail, I'd just choose some modern connectors of whatever style you like and call it a day. There are plenty of choices that are fully shrouded with plastic that is also heat shrink tubing, so you can seal the wire ends after you crimp them.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
You can buy pigtails for those connectors from eeuroparts.com or similar. I would agree with 02pilot though... Use something else. Weatherpack is older these days but very common and readily available. You could also use Metripack or even TE JPT connectors as you'd find on much newer Saabs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! If there was an easy direct replacement for the existing ends of the wires I might go for that (then I wouldn't have to replace whatever the door harness connects to), but I'm not looking to go to crazy lengths to keep it original either.

The only relevant item I found at eeuroparts was one of the connector "shells" (SAAB Terminal Connector 9503319 | eEuroparts.com®). Mine are pretty intact and could be re-used (though not modern/weather sealed) so it's more about the terminals/connectors at the end of the wires. It would be cool if the wires would still be grouped in connectors with the same wire count as the original, to be able to easier see what's what in the future, especially since I haven't been able to get the original color wires. That and not having to replace what they connect to was why my first inclination was to try to keep the connector itself but change the wire + terminals.

But as you guys are saying the best option might be to go for something like weatherpack, I'll look into it!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
There is for example

and

But at $8 each you could do a lot of Weatherpack or JPT, which is superior when assembled correctly. And, the male side (8547770 & 8547788) are NLA.

You can buy WP or JPT in 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 etc. circuit versions so harnesses stay grouped together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, right. Those didn't show up when I had my vehicle set to '85 900 - but as you say not really a good option due to price and lack of availability.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If you can find a much newer car in a junkyard then you can harvest used harness... Btdt on my '85.

You can buy this crimper which works great for Metripack, totally fine with Weatherpack, and acceptable for JPT...

Waytek also carries a complete selection of Weatherpack and Metripack housings, seals, and terminals. They do NOT carry TE JPT... IMO it would be nice to use JPT and stick with a Saab theme but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

One great thing about getting going with Metripack 280 is that the terminals are common with ATM fuses and ISO 280 relays... So if you do other wiring elsewhere having the tools and components is a nice leg up.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
deutch connectors, have a look at TE connectivity... then browse for the common connectors that end up on ebay surplus stock

1 - 9 of 9 Posts